Inquiries from potential guests asking for reduced rates

Janice68
Level 4
Winston-Salem, NC

Inquiries from potential guests asking for reduced rates

Hello all,

Recently I have been getting inquiries from potential guests who are asking for lower rates than the one I have posted. Not only are they asking for lower rates, but they are also adding an additional guest (like a spouse or travel partner). I always decline the reservation and explain that my rates are already at an economical price and my policy is to charge for additional guests. Usually they include some "feel good" reason why they are needing a reduced rate, like they are doing a volunteer church event, or are attending a funeral, etc... to justify their requests. I am wondering if others have had this same experience and how you have handled it.

Thanks!

24 Replies 24
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Janice68. It happens really occasionally for me to get an inquiry about lower prices. But more people - yes, and very often asking for early checkin or/and late checkout. I am only inclined to agree to the latter two, while politely declining the first two.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thank you Marzena... I will usually agree to an early/late check in, as long as I am given 48 hour notice. I do try to comply with those requests... thank you for sharing.

I have been asked for a 33% reduction also. I declined and also for a review they had that wasn't at all complimentary. Don't need that.

@Janice68  Asking for discounts is viewed by many hosts as a red flag. I politely decline as well.

Thank you Ange... I agree, I always get a very uncomfortable feeling with a request to lower rates.  My other red flag is, there are other AirBnb hosts in my city offering lower rates, so I don't understand why they don't book a room with the lower rate host. Thank you for sharing!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I have had nothing but bad experiences with guests who request discounts. When I have complied, they are the guests most likely to leave fewer than five stars for Value. It really seems like the guests who do this are likely to have unrealistic expectations across the board. I won't accept in future. 

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Lisa723,

I fully agree!

This year I gave 1 small discount. And I will find out, what will the consequence.

Hi Lisa, you are so right. I, accidentally, significantly discounted a guest whilst getting to grips with the AirBnB system and bingo I was marked down for value and got a private comment that 'he noticed my prices had gone up'! Thankfully that was the last we saw of him.

Had another close shave recently, when I discounted a winter month; what I assumed I was doing was inserting a daily rate when in actuality I was entering a monthly rate! Thankfully the guest sent me a message to confirm the $200 rate for the month, as she thought it was very good value! Managed to correct that before disaster struck.

Love the idea of accepting the booking at the original value and not mentioning a discount.

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Janice68@Lisa723@Ange2@Marzena4,

I suppose it must have been on Facebook or something like that: "Just ask for discounts on Airbnb".

Basically it is the consequence of the ever ongoing pressure by Airbnb to reduce our prices.

A lot of people nowadays think, that Airbnb is the place to go to for cheap accommodation!

I've noticed a rise in the number of hagglers lately 😞

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one getting these requests. As for AirBnb pressuring us to reduce our rates, I simply ignore that. We offer our homes to strangers... that alone is worth our rate.  

Hi yes we have had our first and im a bit upset about that as well. Richard and i have a 2800 square foot farm house on almost 5 acres  with a pond in the  great smokie mountains i can not rent this out for 60 bucks a night! I might as well close up shop. The electic and air conditioning for summer months is crazy! I offer a coffee bar and snack bar as well. Then they want a weekly discount on top of it all I just need to stand my ground but im afraid they wont show my place. Do they understand this im a bit confused. Guess i will wait to see.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

And yet again, @Cor3, we might take into considerconsideration the country of origin of those haggling guests. It so nicely draws patterns on the global map. 😉

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Marzena4,

That will definitely be the UK (Due to pending Brexit? GBP going down?)

And of course: The Dutch and the French 😞

Asia, @Cor3...