Instant book: confusion on Cancellation fees

Mike147
Level 1
Hong Kong

Instant book: confusion on Cancellation fees

Which is true, as both can't be:

1.  From my confirmation from an instant book reservation

Cancellation fees

If you cancel more than 7 days before check in, it’s a $50 fee. If you cancel less than 7 days before check in, it’s a $100 fee.

2.  From the instant book page

Instant Book

Instant Book hosts can cancel 100% penalty-free if they’re uncomfortable with a reservation.

which is it?

I see the value of instant book but I offer my place when I'm away and I can't always get a cleaner in immediately after a guest leaves.  So I need to be able to hold the place until clean.  So which is it?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Haha @Mike147  I don't use instant book, so can't help you out, but airbnb has no doubt perfected the art of confusion and ambiguity.

I agree with you, Sarah. Unlimited is unlimited to me. Yes, I was told this week that I had already cancelled an instant booking recently so I couldn't cancel one again without a penalty, even though I felt uncomfortable with the booking. So I  turned off instant booking for my listing.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mike147

Yeah the rules are different for IB hosts and what makes it even more confusing Mike, there are different sets of cancellation rules depending on where you live in the world 

Here are the rules surrounding cancellation penalties that I am governed by here in Australia.

IB cancellations c.png

But Mike, if was an IB host in the US these are the IB cancellation rules that would apply....

IB cancellation rules.png

So, there you go Mike, it's a lucky dip. I could not begin to tell you what the applicable rules may be for you in Hong Kong!

The one think I can say for certain, if you need to make an IB cancellation, as a host, this is how you need to do it to have it recognised as 'penalty free'!!

Instant book cancellation penalties.png

I hope this is of help to you Mike, and I hope all goes well with your hosting!

Cheers.....Rob

Mike147
Level 1
Hong Kong

I'm in Hong Kong, where do I find the appropriate policy for this market?