House electronic Locks

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

House electronic Locks

For the US hosts, what electronic locks are you using that make check in and check out easier for your guests? We're looking for somethinf that works well and consistently works without issue.

4 Replies 4
Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Patrick568: We use a Schlage FE595 PLY 626 ELA Digital Lever/Lock. We have had it for 3 years and its works great with heavy use. We have changed the batteries once so far.

Has the capability to load up to 19 different codes. Each guest gets a new code (the last 4 digits of their phone number). Once they leave we delete the code. No lost keys, no late night phone calls, no worrying about someone making a copy. It also has the typical keyed cylinder at the exterior in case the battery dies or the keypad malfunctions.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Patrick568 We too have Schlage and its great - easy use - battery - had over 50 groups of guests and we love it. no keys no hassle - there are keys if the battery runs out (good for 3 yrs.) we have had almost one year. It was inexpensive from Lowe's they had a special I think $100 - excellent - when you close it it locks unless you turn the inside lever and that unlocks (while bringing in luggage or such) - That is the only thing alittle different (that I don't love)  - I MAKE SURE AND TELL THEM WHEN THEY TURN THE LEVER IT UNLOCKS the DOOR.

cause it looks like a deadbolt alittle but is NOT. 

Forgot: One cool thing at night theres a little bar and when pushed it all lights up blue for nighttime entry! Really nice.

happy hosting, Clara

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

@Barry-and-Lera0    That sounds great. I will definitly check it out!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I drove myself crazy doing research on the best options! Just search "smart locks" on this forum and there are some great threads with lots of information. The top names that kept coming up were August Locks, Yale, and Schlage.

The August locks were tempting because they looked super easy to install (no need to replace your existing deadlock/key) and you can track entry/exits but I wanted a keypad and that was separate and seemed kind of cheap looking. Plus, the reviews were mixed. It seemed to work well for some, not so well for others.

I finally went with Schlage BE468CAM619 Connect Touchscreen Deadbolt. It works fine on it's own (up to 19 codes that can be deleted after guest checks out), and if I want to manage codes/locking/tracking remotely I can hook it up to a Wink hub or Smartthings or some other compatible system in the future. I rent a room in my home so being able to manage remotely wasn't really a big deal but I do like the idea of monitoring locks and unlocks to verify when guests check-in or out.

The lock was only $160 on Amazon so I consider it a great purchase!