Internet usage at a cottage- help!

Amy1105
Level 2
Nova Scotia, Canada

Internet usage at a cottage- help!

Hello!

we are brand new hosts with a lakeside cottage. We do not have typical internet there (satellite, phone line, and fibre op unavailable) so we turned to data. We don’t have cable tv either so we felt that we wanted to provide some internet so guests can check emails and social media and let their kids watch a cartoon on Netflix while they make supper. 

Were in Canada and data is very expensive here. As a couple with one small child we used about 1 gig a day while there and we felt that they may not be average but we hoped that providing 50 gigs a month would be sufficient. 

We have guests there now and in 3 days they used over 50 gigs. They also brought a dog without telling us (and thus being charged a very reasonable pet fee) but that’s a different issue. It’s been a beautiful week and they’re at a lake and I guess were shocked they they are going through 13 gigs a day. 

What can we do to curb internet usage? Does anyone have advice? We don’t want to be in a position where one guest uses up all the data and there’s nothing for the next guest. Help!

16 Replies 16
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Amy1105 Data pricing in Canada is just stupid... it's really annoying.

I think that people just expect unlimited high speed internet everywhere they go now, and I'm not sure there is a practical way to curb usage or charge people for use: I think either is a recipe for unhappy guests. Is there any way you can purchase a larger data package and just build the cost into your accommodation fees?

Have you looked at your competition to see what they're doing? Everyone in your area must be in the same boat.

Thanks so much for your thoughts! There’s only one other Airbnb in the area (it’s quite rural) and they have a clear line through the lake to the satellite for satellite internet, about $50. Right now we are at about $50 a day which unfortunately is making it difficult for us to compete and offer the same level of internet. Perhaps you’re right though that there’s no real way around it. 

@Amy1105 Wow, that's crazy! Sorry, I wasn't expecting it to be that much...as you say, not really feasible to build that into the price.

Maybe try telling people no streaming or downloading and see what happens?

Going with no internet is something that some places do, I know, calling it "unplugged", but that also seems like a potential for unhappy guests.

Thank you that’s a good suggestion!

@Amy1105    You could say that data is limited, but not sure how you would cut them off when the limit is reached. Maybe better not to offer it except as an emergency tool and include instructions on how to buy international SIM cards and data packages. It's not an unreasonable ask in a remote area and travel packages are affordable.  I always travel with my own connection. Other hosts in remote areas have apparently gone the emergency only connection route and didn't notice a drop-off in bookings.

Amy1105
Level 2
Nova Scotia, Canada

Thank you that’s good advice. We will definitely have to do some digging on how to sort this out. 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Amy1105: Data caps are very difficult since every guest is different. They could have easily been streaming something like HULU or Youtube TV and that will use a bunch of data. We stream all of our TV and movie watching in both our home and our guesthouse and we use roughly 40gb a day. We ended up going to an unlimited data package because depending on the guest/s and our usage we would easily hit our monthly 1024gb cap in the past.

Well this is exactly what we’ve run into. I consider us ‘moderate’ internet users but perhaps I was mistaken and we are quite low. I don’t believe in Canada you can get unlimited data, unless I’m mistaken. Will double check. Thank you!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Amy1105

It's always good to be clear with yourself about who you are and what you are offering.

Are you a humble inn-keeper or an IT professional who knows all the ins and outs of providing data?

Is your listing in a remote location and desired because it is a remote location?

What does your competition do?

You may call your provider and ask for their advice.  But, I think you are wasting time, thought and money providing data to your cabin. Being so remote already causes you alot of other problems. If your guests want data, have them figure it out, pay for it or decide not to have it.

Many hosts can "Spin" no data to an advantage.  "Unwind in the woods (No internet to disturb you)"

While you may turn away some guests, you will attract other guests.

Beautiful well-priced listing BTW

Excellent advice thank you. I personally love having access to simple things and perhaps watch a movie here and there but do have to remember that everyone is different. 

Thank you for the compliment on the listing. Always great to hear feedback as we are complete newbies. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Have you thought about limiting the bandwidth your guests can use from your router? That would probably be my fix (of sorts) a la: 'Limited Wi-Fi available for free. Perfect for sending emails, catching up on Facebook or browsing the news. Heavier use package available at cost'. 

PS. Wowzer, that's some listing you've got there, @Amy1105.

That would be the perfect solution. Honestly I’m not sure if that’s a possibility, do you know if it is in Canada? We seem to have archaic rules surrounding data. 

Thank you so much. That compliment means a lot!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We can certainly apply these restrictions on our router. Sort of depends which model you have. Perhaps Google 'restricting bandwidth on a [enter model] router. Good luck.

PS. I thought Canada was very forward-thinking, but perhaps I've watched too many Handmaid's Tale episodes.

...if the provider allows the usage of a router at all, or access to the router settings...

USA and Canada market is different. User means....only user, not the person, who sets the rules. Settings of the router are hidden and not accessible. The user can't change anything, can't set restrictions, can't add guest accounts...nothing.