Is this a fake listing? Help!

Mi18
Level 2
Houston, TX

Is this a fake listing? Help!

Is this a fake listing? This is my first time using AirBNB! My husband and I and our 6 kids under 10 are traveling to Europe and we found a AirBNB in London for two nights that is centrally located and seems nice! I asked how I get the inside the place and the host wrote back "I will meet you and give you the keys when you arrive." But there are no reviews. The host just added a second listing. Still no reviews. I then wrote the host twice in the last few days, but he has not responded. Advice? 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/38059257?bev_ref=&c=.pi80.pkYm9va2luZy92MV9taWdyYXRpb24vcmVzZXJ2YXRpb25...

36 Replies 36

@Elena87   I'm sure "George"  must have missed that!   If those were my listings, there would a looooong list of house rules...not to mention a security deposit.  All red flags.

Mi18
Level 2
Houston, TX

Oh my gosh I can’t thank you all enough!!  You should really be detectives, not AirBNB hosts! Literally!! 

It seems like a scam-but what is the benefit?! Like it seems that I can still cancel, so what does he gain? 

Is my kids or my safety on jeopardy in any way?

Thank you so much again! 

@Mi18    Always book with someone who has at least a few reviews and a good response rate.   😉

Also, may I suggest you add an actual profile picture of yourself instead of that rock formation?  The vast majority of us hosts like to see that we are renting to a real person.  😉      Hope you find a suitable place in London...it's a fun city!

@Mi18 Common scam is the bait and switch: they show you this, then say, oh, sorry, that's not available but I have this cold water flat in Bayswater that I can substitute. You feel stuck and take the offer.

I would call Airbnb and let them know your concerns and ask if they will cancel for you without penalty so you don't get charged the service fee. I would also report the listing.

@Mi18: Here is an example. I have friends currently in California that had their reservation that was booked months ago cancel the day before. The host said he didn't know what happened and he was getting in touch with Airbnb. Early the next day (the day they were suppose to arrive) he said that his last guest got in touch with Airbnb about a gas leak in the house. He said it was the pilot to the stove an everything was fine but Airbnb wanted to him to get a plumber and submit paperwork before they would open the dates back up and there wouldn't be enough time to do the transaction again through Airbnb and they could just pay cash. He said they could just leave it in the mailbox.... 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Mi18 Google 'Airbnb' scams/fake listings, or type scam/fake into the search top right on this forum. You will see there's quite a history of scammers faking listings for fraudulent gain..... (Even in my out of the way corner of the UK, I spot a fake listing every few months... - often with photos of Asian interiors, & Asian city scapes with tower blocks which we don't have in rural England! I report them to Airbnb & they get taken down.)

Don't let the horror stories put you off genuine Airbnb listings though! 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Mi18 

Reduce your stress. Call Airbnb with your concerns.

Ask them if he is legitimate. Because he is unresponsive, they will motivate the host to contact you.

They will advise you and let you out of the reservation.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I can't see this listing. It's gone...

Helen350
Level 10

@Dimitar27 I can see it now!

Yep - I can't find it either. I bet Airbnb shut it down. I really REALLY wish they would verify listings by having someone on staff (or experienced hosts) go to new listings in their area and confirm they are real. I mean - how hard is that?

@Christine615 wrote:

I mean - how hard is that?

Very. There are over 6 million listings on AirBNB located in every country on the planet. I can't imagine how one would check each listing before they went live, or that it would be particularly cost effective.

@Susan151  Hosts could at least be required to send a copy of their property title papers to prove they actually own the place. Or those who rent out rooms with permission from their landlord could send in a copy of their lease agreement with a notarized letter from the landlord verifying that they have permission to sublet. That would also address the issue of renters subletting in contravention of their lease agreement.

@Sarah977 Never happen. Their lawyers would never allow the risk to be absorbed by AirBNB. And, lots of owners don't have "title papers," also called a deed since they still have an outstanding mortgage. Anyhow, not going to happen, even if it is a good idea.

Helen350
Level 10

@Christine615 - Still visible to me here in the UK.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mi18  This listing no longer is on the site- meaning it was definitely a scam and he got scared or caught. If you haven't already, you need to contact Airbnb ASAP to get them to sort out your refund.