Is this a fake listing? Help!

Mi18
Level 2
Houston, TX

Is this a fake listing? Help!

Is this a fake listing? This is my first time using AirBNB! My husband and I and our 6 kids under 10 are traveling to Europe and we found a AirBNB in London for two nights that is centrally located and seems nice! I asked how I get the inside the place and the host wrote back "I will meet you and give you the keys when you arrive." But there are no reviews. The host just added a second listing. Still no reviews. I then wrote the host twice in the last few days, but he has not responded. Advice? 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/38059257?bev_ref=&c=.pi80.pkYm9va2luZy92MV9taWdyYXRpb24vcmVzZXJ2YXRpb25...

36 Replies 36
Jennifer311
Level 5
Port Washington, NY

I’d wouldn’t go any further until he replies.

Doesn’t say he has a 10-night minimum?

If he doesn’t reply, I would look for a place that has reviews. If you have tried to contact him saying you only need it for tonight, maybe he just doesn’t care enough to answer since he wants longer bookings. But he needs to build up his profile and get some reviews and asking for a 10-night minimum is not a great way to start in my opinion

I am already booked and paid. There was no minimum number of days when I booked about 3 weeks ago. 

Jennifer311
Level 5
Port Washington, NY

If he’s a new host without any other listings,

he will be motivated to get good reviews for his listing to get off to a good start.

He does have a flexible cancellation policy,

(Look this up to see what it means for you, depending on how far away you are from your booking)

so if you have serious concerns you could always look to see a similar property that also meets your needs with someone who has been reviewed and is more responsive to your questions. 

On the other hand, as a host, just a tip:

sometimes if somebody has a *lot* of questions we worry that they might be a bit high maintenance or difficult to satisfy.

I don’t know what’s best for you, but if I were in your situation I would book a place with several reviews that might answer some of the questions I had, especially if he doesn’t respond to your messages after a day. Cancellations are hassle free within 48 hours of booking, but with a flexible policy as he has, you may still be able to get your money back depending on the dates involved. See what else is out there.

Gorbea0
Level 1
Shalimar, FL

Agree with Jennifer. 

I would not trust a host that doesn't respond within 24 hours. I would try to cancel, get your money back and book something else with reviews. Send a message to AirBnB to discuss the situation and try to get the money back. Good luck

Kevin1056
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

One thing that always annoyed me is when a guests reservation is far away adn they keep sending me a bunch of emails very very annoying.

@Mi18   New listing, no reviews, but high-quality professional photos  -  that's an unusual combination. 

When I see this sort of thing, my first instinct is to right-click on the photos and do a reverse image search. And that's how I found that this property is listed For Sale, and all the photos come from an estate agency:  https://www.knightfrank.co.uk/properties/residential/for-sale/trevor-square-knightsbridge-london-sw7...

That doesn't conclusively prove that it's a scam. But scammers are known to copy pictures from real-estate listings. If the host is unresponsive, you can use the link above to contact the property's estate agent, and determine whether the current owner matches up with the Airbnb account.

What would the scam be? What would they be looking to get?

@Mi18  It could be a phishing scheme, a sabotage, a bait-and-switch operation, or any number of things - unfortunately, you'd be unlikely to uncover the motive until it's too late to salvage your holiday.

Whatever is going on, your money is still recoverable....as long as you didn't pay outside of the Airbnb payment protocol.

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Mi18: We do not book with people who are not Superhosts. Maybe that is just our thing but at least Superhosts have shown not to be scams. I would take the steps @Anonymous mentioned above about getting in touch with the real estate listing agent then Airbnb. An unresponsive host is not a good thing and honestly not someone you want to deal with.

@Emilia42: That is very true. I should say we begin our search with Superhosts. From there there is still a level of due diligence that needs to be done with every booking. 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Mi18 

The second listing on the profile also shows an apartment in London that is listed on the findproperly property website - the photographs are also an exact copy.

On the property website , rent is listed at an eye-watering ( for me anyway) 8750 GBP per week

Airbnb listing is on at 2746 GBP for 8 days. 

The host 'George' doesn't have much to write about these listings - although he does allow pets and parties or events in the property. Really?

'George' has a profile photograph, from Red Square in Moscow.

Strangely the profile photograph has been flipped over vertically - when you directly view St Basil's Cathedral, GUM shopping mall is on the left - On 'George's' photograph it appears on the right.

@Elena87   this "host" actually does not allow pets and parties from what I can see, at least not at this property.  But given everything that you and others have already pointed out, it definitely looks like a scam to me.  This is clearly a million-plus property and there are virtually no house rules?  The whole listing seems thrown together in a hurry.  But I think the biggest red flag for me is the price; it seems way too low for a luxury flat in central London.

@Ann489 

The second listing under the profile (3 Bedroom Penthouse in Knightsbridge) does allow pets and parties in the house rules. Somewhat surprising in a 4.5 million GBP apartment.