Issue with a guest

Sharon624
Level 2
Sterling, VA

Issue with a guest

I have a guest who wants to bring a snake into my house when she and her boyfriend come for 3 weeks. She did not mention a pet especially a pet snake. She did not tell me about the snake when I accept her . Now I cannot cancel without airbnb penalty. I don't know what to do.

12 Replies 12
Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

No way. You surely can cancel the booking because it is outside your house rules.

NO PETS.

Airbnb must support the host on this one.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Sharon624, message her and tell her you have a no pets policy and she can either come without the snake or cancel her reservation. If she refuses to cancel, call Airbnb and ask them to cancel her reservation.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Apart from anything else, snakes smell.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Sharon624... wow.  I agree with the previous posters, just remind her that your rules say no pets.  If she insists on breaking your rules, contact Airbnb to have the booking cancelled. 

If Airbnb give you a hard time about it, say you have Ophidiophobia, therefore your health and wellbeing is at risk if she brings a snake 🙂  (joking, they should just enforce your rules, you shouldn't have to make things up)

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sharon624 Yes,  you need to get onto CS if she won't agree to cancel the booking herself and get them to canacel withLetout penalty to yourself as she would be breaching your house rules.  Let's hope she does not try to claim that it is a "support snake!"

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Rachel0  ... support snake... lmao.  This comment made my day 🙂

... oh god, I googled it. It’s… an actual thing

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ben551 OMG no!  What next? "Support" stick insects, "Support" goats?  The world has gone mad.

Lillian53
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

If your house rules state no pets. Then that's it. Your house I do not see why there should be any problems.

I have a feline pet. Some guests don't read your house rules. So I  always remind them, and one potential guest thanked me for letting her know as she's allergic to cats and she cancelled. I usually chat  prior to accepting a booking regardless if they have reviews or not.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It always cracks me up when people have reptiles they call "pets". Reptiles don't bond- even with each other. They don't live in families or couples- they're born from a deposited egg and when they hatch, they crawl off to do their own thing, there's no mama snake there to care for it or teach it anything. Anyone who thinks their snake loves them, or is even in any way attached to them is delusional. All they see you as is a food source.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

How about an emotional support alligator, goes by the name of Scrappy? 😉

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/emotional-support-alligator-joie-henney_us_5c49f656e4b06ba6d3bb...

You can visit the below site for a legit ESA letter. Mostly online sites are scam and fraud , however, the below one is legit as I have orderd for myself to avoid extra pet fees, imposed by landlord.

https://legitesaletter.com/