Issues with current guest

Janine221
Level 2
Market Drayton, United Kingdom

Issues with current guest

Looking for advice please. I have only been hosting since last July, 26 guests so far, in my static caravan.  My current guest is an elderly lady who booked to stay 7 nights alone for max 4 adults but with family members joining her over the week to visit sick son. she turned up at 9.30pm the first night (check in 2-8pm) and her 8 yo grandson stayed with her. On the second day we had cause to speak to her regarding allowing the 8 yo to wander unsupervised on the farm, our House Rules are quite clear on this and also regarding them wandering on our neighbours land. On the second night she had issues understanding how the hob worked with gas ignition switch and used half a box of matches trying to light it before calling us. Again the child stayed. There was a terrible storm that night and the following day the child informed us that this granny had left th windows wide open overnight and soaked the beds/curtains/floors! she called him a tittle tattle but didn't deny it. She went shopping on the third day and crammed the fridge with food and had 6 members of family over for lunch/afternoon. At 8.50pm that night she again called saying there was water on the floor in the kitchen area. I went straight up! Someone had knocked the internal temperature adjustment dial down to 0 effectively turning it off and also snapped the plastic dial clean off! As a consequence the fridge started to defrost. I cleaned up for her and spoke to her regarding the damage and she has completely denied causing it! I managed to turn the fridge temperature back up using the broken dial and advised her we would sort it the following day which she was happy about and stated she would leave the door unlocked for us. At 9.35pm members of her family arrived at the farm and then left at 10pm. Upon inspecting the fridge the following day we saw that her family member the previous night had dragged the fridge out and torn the lino underneath. She has since been sleeping there but not in evidence during the day time.  We have ordered a new fridge to be delivered. Today, the 6th day she has left the caravan to visit family and left the windows open in the heavy rain and also the French door was wide and swinging open with the curtain billowing out in the rain! Do I speak to her again, ask Airbnb to make a claim for us or just wait out the last 2 nights and be glad to get rid? If we get a bad review from her, Im a super host, do I contest it now with Airbnb or after? thanks for the advice all.

16 Replies 16
Janine221
Level 2
Market Drayton, United Kingdom

We felt the same way so we’ve left it And just ordered a new fridge and Lino to go in next week. I can’t say it hasn’t put us off longer length lets tho! It’s easier when folk are just here a few days. Thank you for your positivity! 

Nancy115
Level 5
Mills River, NC

Document the damages with photos,  contact Airbnb about the damages and ask for restitution.  Let the guest know they are responsible for the cost of repairs.  Guests are not always truthful about their situation.  Regardless of their emotional state they are responsible for damages.