It happened- guest had a party

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

It happened- guest had a party

I have made a few posts about me "catching" guests and narrowly escaping parties but one finally outsmarted me. I attribute the wave to cold weather in Chicago combined with a very slow streak that left a couple of weekends open, something I do not usually have.

There were no red flags. He booked in advance for a sleepover for a 14 year old son, 5 friends and 2 chaperones. Not a last minute booking (flag one scratched off the list). He was from Illinois but far out for a trip to Chicago for a teen's birthday to make sence. I told him about no extra guests at least three times and that I have a counter installed (Party Squasher) and he acknowledged it. I almost felt embarrassed to keep saying it because he had such well put together responses. He produced a list of minors prior to check in.  I checked ID when he arrived. The second chaperone was not there so and was not lazy came back at 9 pm to check the second ID (even though my daughter JUST got home after three months away and this was the last activity I wanted to be engaged in). I could not possibly be more thorough. When I came at 9, there were happy kids running around, there were cupcakes on the table. No alcohol, no cars lining the street, no trays of food. No signs of trouble.

Party squasher counts devices. By 10 PM it was showing 40. I came up with an excuse- may be each kid has a cell phone, an ipad and a gaming device and maybe the tenant downstairs has a couple of people over. By 11pm it was showing 50. 

When I called the guest, his response was: What did you think was going to happen? Of course I am having a party! I was floored.

I called Airbnb. I was suspecting for a while that there is no Santa, starting to doubt existence of unicorns, at least fully pink ones. But finding out that there is no SWAT team (Stop Wild party Airbnb Team) and the picture was a product of @Cathie19  imagination was the biggest blow of the night. That handsome guy was not coming to save me after all. Those of you not familiar, this is a reference to another thread here. I talked to regular rep, then got transferred to the special party department. 15 min on hold and I am told that the guidelines have not fully come out so they do not know how to help me. But he will talk to the guest and let him know that if extra people do not leave now, they will be evicted with no refund. The only thing I could think of asking in the moment was: are you saying he is eligible for a refund if he does leave right away?? It is a one night reservation!

I am now stuck with a one star review, smoking remediation bill and trying to figure out what I did wrong. By the way, if the guest were to be removed from the platform immediately following the incident, he would not have been able to leave me a review.

43 Replies 43
Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Inna22  sorry to hear that, but i think the issue is 1 night during the weekend it a big red flag, regardless if the person mention dinner, party or meeting. Unless the host leaves above the property, to avoid at all cost 1 night during Friday or Saturday

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

I'm so sorry this happened, @Inna22 , and I am disgusted with the response from ABB. Fingers crossed (but breath not held) that someone in CX will do the right thing and remove the review, the stars and the guest.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Jennifer1421 @Kelly149 @Kath9 

review will stay. The ironic part is that listing is now under warning to be frozen because of it but the guest is still on the platform. I got a couple of four star reviews there and this one pushed my average over the edge. 

@Inna22Oh wow. What a slap in the face! Maybe this thread is something that should be directed toward Laura Chambers, who has been conspicuously absent since all these updates have been released...just so she can see what the "10-day sprint" has wrought.

@Inna22  Garbage decisions like this are why 90% of my business has been shifted to vrbo. Sorry it happened to you

@Inna22  That's OUTRAGEOUS.

So sorry to hear about this, @Inna22 . And I will just add to the voices of the others who said you did everything right. There is no "should have" here for you. The guy "outsmarted" you, but only because he was a liar and con artist. 

Hate the bit about the review staying up and your listing being at risk of being paused, but you may have dodged a bigger bullet. If you had twigged early and tried to kick him out, there he was with his kiddos and cupcakes and you would have been the bad guy. Possibly shut down completely. 

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

re: under warning to be frozen'.

The correct expression is 'Pause'.

The listing is showing average 4.35.

If it descends to 4.2 it will receive an automated '5 Days Pause'.

I know it from experience last year.

If you manage to have the Review deleted, the Rating with it will also be deleted, and your average will automatically rise.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  OMG. I think you should definitely involve Laura in this. And find a reporter who wants to write about this. Just yesterday I had an email in my Inbox that says it's from Brian Chesky (but of course the URL isn't his personal one, but the generic "discovery @airbnb.com") reiterating all this new supposed security and trust in Airbnb we should have.

@Sarah977 I am worried publicity will just bring negative attention to my listings. Knowing how Chicago operates, they will just shut me down. Also, while I am the first one to complain here, I do not think negative publicity is good for us hosts. It does not stop bad guests (and maybe gives them ideas!) but scares good guests.

@Inna22 Well, of course you have to look after your own interests and I certainly wouldn't want you to jeopardize your listings.

But what's the alternative? If we hosts do nothing, and keep allowing Airbnb to put out PR that flies in the face of how they actually operate, without doing anything to push back, or to expose the hypocrisy, nothing will ever change and they will just keep creating more and more obstacles to safe hosting.

Joe206
Level 1
Arraial d'Ajuda, BR

wow, amazing story, sorry it happened to you. it is a jungle out there. could you let me know about the device that counts the mobile devices or how you do it? Thanks 

@Joe206  It is called Party Squasher

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

He told you he was having kids and chaperones, meaning multiple different parties involved, if that didn't sound like a party I'm not sure what does. I would bump my reservation dates to minimum of 2 days. Unless your daily rate is upper $300/ night and cleaning fee is $100+ I wouldn't bother with one night stays.

People are very sly. He could have easily booked a game room or a bowling alley.