Just found out my guest has been charged with assault with a weapon and cocaine possession.

Raquel24
Level 10
Gibsons, Canada

Just found out my guest has been charged with assault with a weapon and cocaine possession.

So my guest and his wife and baby checked in a week ago and they seemed very odd, moody, unfriendly to say the least.  Didnt want me to show them around etc.  And then I notice they stay up late, sleep in late (weird with a baby) and have the drapes closed all day.  And the mood swings became more intense, so I decided to google his name/location and I find 2 police reports on him, one cocaine possession and one assault with a weapon charge from stabbing someone.  So, I am now concerned.  Any advice?

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Depends on a few things...

Are they sharing your home with  you - if so you can (if you wish and feel uncomfortable enough) contact AirBnB and explain and ask them to arrange alternative accommodation for them.

If they are not sharing your home, and they have broken no rules, etc...then you can still try the same route if you wish, but It hink you probably stand less chance of success.

Anyone else have any thoughts or experiences of this kind?

Hi, They are in a separate cabin so luckily we dont share a space.  Just the yard.  I will leave it for now and just watch and see.  Such a different energy from what I am used to when guests stay here.  I havent seen them smile once.  Such in insight into the misery and anger that comes with this type of lifestyle.  

@Raquel24 What a beautiful cabin and surrounding land, it's a woderful place to relax for this couple and their child. For me their sleeping habits are personal. They rent the cabin and then as long as none of your house rules are broken, they do as they wish and if this includes getting up at lunchtime and keeping the curtains closed then that's fine. If however their behavious makes you ,  your family or neighbours feel they are in danger or for any reason uncomfortable, then I would contact airbnb and explain the situation and ask them to be re-housed.

Thank you for your responses.  Yes, it is a lovely cabin and I have had great experiences with guests.  Really a joy to have people stay here but this time it is very different.  Odd sleeping habits and curtains closed dont bother me personally, they were just an indication that something was going on.  It's the increasingly erratic and moody behaviour, bordering on hostile that worries me.  I dont think I will ask Airbnb to move them just yet but I will wait and see and just keep my distance.  They have been seen at the local drug dealers house so I know there is drug use going on.  I'm ok with pot but high on coke or worse is a different story.  

Suggest you have telephone numbers to hand for local police and also AirBnB contacts, just in case things go awry very quickly and you need support.