Key not on the property

Kalpana7
Level 2
New Delhi, India

Key not on the property

HI! My property is in the hills, over 300 km from where I live. The key to the property is with me, in the city and it says on my page that guests need to access the key from me. 

A guest has booked. When I confirmed the booking I thought she was in a suburb of my city. Turns out she is 150 km away. She is now demanding I get the key to her somehow. I asked her to cancel as it isn't possible to get the key to her. She neither responded to my message nor cancelled within the 48  hour window. She still wants to 'send someone' to get the key from me. I feel very uncomfortable with this guest as she seems irresponsible and I don't think she'll make as much effort to return the key as to get it. 

I could ask her to leave it with a neighbour after her stay (the cleaning lady can't be given the key as she uses the property to keep her own guests, but I can't get anyone else right now) but I don't really want this guest to stay now since she has been so unresponsive. 

I can't cancel because I have a strict cancellation policy and will be penalised as well as having the dates blocked off. I'm actually very annoyed about these inconsiderate guests. 

Suggestions?

20 Replies 20

@Kalpana7 

'Crazy?" Ok.

I live in a city. The property is in the wilds. This is the arrangement till I can import a key box from the UK. we don't have them in India. 

You've had successful lets before and your arrangement has worked fine. You point out the key situation to potential guests so if they don't read don't beat yourself up over it. If the key is in the place it should be for picking up, let the guests pick them up. It's their oversight not yours. I can appreciate that meeting people who are renting your place is always a good thing to do and if you don't like the feelings you get from these people, just cancel and disregard any critisism here or from Airbnb. No one here is taking the risk you're taking, or are privvy to your guest messages, and Airbnb are after making the guest happy and their commission.

Do what you think fit.

Billy106
Level 4
Lancaster, CA

@Kalpana7 I don't it's crazy the setup you have of delivering the key until you get a lock box. Are you using instant book? If so you can cancel them without getting penalized.

The key pick up/delivery situation is unusual but not unheard of - not "crazy" at all. It just requires a little bit more planning from both sides. 

I think it would have been nice if @Kalpana7 had double-checked to make sure the guest completely understands about the key pick up. Right now on the listing description, the key pick up blurb is at the absolute bottom of the listing description under "other things to note" and mentioned only once. 

Technically it is the guest's responsibilty to read.......we all know most guests don't. Sigh~

Problems happen when anyone "assumes" something instead of "checking to make sure". Just a fact of life..... and hosting 🙂

Also.... let's all not forget the hosting/living environment can be quite different depending on country. A lock box or keyless access might not always be an opinion. Not all countries have security / surveillance systems that are readily available and affordable for relatively more remote locations.

This is understandable @Jessica-and-Henry0  but India has Amazon and other online shopping which offers key locks and electronic key lock systems -  so it is not something that would be diffcult for @Kalpana7  to obtain.

It is just not practical to always deliver a key to a guest as they are not always going to be living in/visiting the hosts area. Airbnb is an international concept and travellers will come from all over.

It also appears that @Kalpana7 has not employed a local co-host who could act as a key holder which would have been a better option if s/he hasn't yet installed an automated key lock.

It is such a shame as others have noted it is a lovely place and a little effort on @Kalpana7 could make the check in process run much more smoothly.

@Helen3 

I think there probably also a cultural aspect to consider about a local co-host. @Kalpana7 mentioned not wanting to let the cleaner have a key - which is something I completely understand 🙂 

I'm sure options were considered but for whatever reason they weren't possible and decided that for the immediate time being the current method would have to do. Amazon and the availability of an electronic key pad in itself doesn't seem to be the problem. Rather..... how to manage and limit access to ONLY those who should have access at any given time seems to be the main issue and for now the host and homeowner has chosen to limit thru the use of a physical key to access the listing. 

Fyi, I have a keypad for my apartment but I choose not to give guests a code. I provide a key fob for access to my home but they still need a separate code for the building entry. Easy isn't always the safest so I think this is more a matter of priority and preference. 

I do understand the points you are making. However @Kalpana7 said she didn't get a key lock or automated lock as she would have to import it and that was why she had delayed installing it.

So I was pointing out that she didn't have to do this as there was Amazon in India.

There is a difference between a cleaner and a co-host.

Having the keys located 300 miles from where your listing is located is always going to prove problematic.