Late Night Check-ins

Kris76
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Late Night Check-ins

Hey everyone, I wanted to get some advice on how other hosts organise late night arrivals. I usually leave my keys for collection at a local shop during the day, but when this closes I have no option but to meet and greet in person. I do love doing this, as it's always good to greet guests however, sometimes my schedule does not allow this and I have to arrange costly alternative arrangements for remote key collection.

Interested to know how other hosts deal with this issue - are smart locks / key boxes commonly used by the group?

9 Replies 9
Paola4
Level 10
Rome, Italy

@Kris76  I don't know why, but you are writing in the Italian community. I hope that Francesca, the online community manager, could move your post in the right place.

Any way, I personally agree with you : I love to greet my guests at their arrival but when happens that I can't,I use a smart lock box.I bought it in Amazon and it's very easy to use.Some times I also asked to a friend of mine, host as well, to do the check-in for me. I know other hosts use also company that provide this service.

Kris76
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Paola, that's good to know and I have no idea why I have been transported from London to Italy! Do you mean Amazon Key? Or something else

Jim40
Level 3
Mashpee, MA

Hi Kris!  A touch pad lock may be your solution.  You can program/delete a new code for every guest (e.g. the last four digits of their telephone number).  Even the basic models can store multiple codes at one time.  There are even models you can program remotely.  This also solves the problem of lost keys, and dare I say, copied keys.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kris76 

Welcome back from Italy! How was your trip?  🙂

If your door and lock set can handle a keypad, go for it. I visited an Airbnb with a keypad the host was able to program with the last 4 digits of each guest’s mobile number.

However, if your door won’t accept something like that, as mine won’t, a lock box usually fills the bill.  I use one by MasterLock that’s bluetooth enabled.  Each guest gets an invitation that begins when they check in and expires when they check out, during which time they can use the box with their phone present.  It also uses numeric codes.

Kris76
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Haha, it was short but fun!

These are all great ideas -thanks. Do you those devices can connect into apps? I use GuestHug at the moment to automate check ins but it doesn’t allow me to generate key codes. Presumably I need a seperate app to generate codes remotely? Problem is my schedule doesn’t allow me to physically go to the property to change manually. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Hi Kris,

I work for a company called KeyNest -  we have a network of locations where you can drop off keys for your guests to collect later! Most of them are open 24/7 and we have a location within 5-10 mins of most Airbnbs in the UK.

https://keynest.com/airbnb-key-exchange

If you have any questions or there's anything I can help you with please let me know 🙂

Ed - Team KeyNest

Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@Kris76 Likewise, I enjoy meeting my guests in person. If I know that I'll be missing them by just a few minutes/hours, I'll leave the key in a hidden location (i.e. under the mat, under a flower pot, in the mailbox, etc.). In the future I'll probably use one of the methods mentioned above. Reprogrammable keypads sound convenient and secure.

Rita2169
Level 2
Barcelona, Spain

I have a reservation for 2 nights (the 9th to 11th) but now I can't go the first night because a fligth problem (I don't ask for refund, I loose it) but the owner says she can NOT receive me for the check in the second night (I come at 23h) because she is not there. 

I understand her situation but she either wants to cancel the reservation with full refund (as it's not my fault). 

Does anyone knows if this is legal? I mean, the check in is since 10h in the morning. Doesn't say anything about when it ends. 

She could rent it to someone else. The appartment it's so cute, cheap and with excellent location. I'm shure she will rent it again if she cancels.

Thanks to all! I'm very worried, hope someone helps please.