Late Payments

Patrick802
Level 3
County Dublin, Ireland

Late Payments

I’ve been increasing getting later and later payments from airbnb.

It used to come like clockwork on the same hour each time but now has started to slip the last few weeks, and is getting later and later with each guest. Tonight its about 2.5 hours late. The only reason I can think of is I queried an odd cancellation last night.

I lost my super-host status a few months back and I think that’s when it started, so is there a airbnb pecking order determined by an algorithm? The super-host always getting paid on time and then so on and so on down the line??

If payments are erratic and unreliable then thats not much good is it? Thanks.

10 Replies 10
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Patrick802 That's annoying.  The payments used to be issued on the day of check-in, but this year they're being issued on the day after check-in.  They take up to three days to arrive in my account.  It's unconscionable since Airbnb has had the funds since the guest booked.  There's no reason to delay payment.

I've never had weeks pass and I would find that unacceptable.  Have you checked with customer support?  Not that they'll be any help?

@Ann72 wrote:

@Patrick802 The payments used to be issued on the day of check-in, but this year they're being issued on the day after check-in. 

I started hosting in June of 2016 and have never received a payment notification on the day of check-in. Always the morning after, around 8:30am. There was a month this winter when the payout notification didn't arrive until 11:00 am. I didn't keep track of how long this lasted though.

Same, @Susan151 . I started in 2012, and it has always been the day after check-in. My last payout, @Patrick802 , was 2:30 pm, day after check-in, EDT (6:30 pm GMT). That's about standard for me these days.

Hope yours get sorted, and really hope late payments are not some sort of system penalty!

Patrick802
Level 3
County Dublin, Ireland

Hi, no I never got the payments on the day of check-in, always the next day/24 hours later, but that has started tio slip now with paymnents coming in at all sorts of odd times and the last one was a day late. No explanation from airbnb why this is or if it will continue being erratic. thanks.

Liz690
Level 1
Alfriston, United Kingdom

I'm a super-host and payments are getting later and later! waiting well over a week after guests leave! I noticed they have moved to citibank Ireland ( tax evasion??) There is no way of contacting airbnb to track or query payments. I am going to start tweeting the situation as I don't know how else to complain.

Imogen23
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Hi there.. I am a superhost and since September the delays have started to happen..  I have a guest staying a week.. and they are about to check out.. I've not received either the payment or the security deposit.

the payments once they do arrive seem to come from Citibank Ireland.. and it does seem very dodgy..  Airbnb say they recommend payments to arrive 7 days later.. but this has never taken that long previously as I can see from everyone's messages above. I have contacted Airbnb a few times now.. and they won't do anything until 15 days after payment is due to arrive. who can we contact to escalate this? it all seems a bit dodgy

Alison190
Level 1
Dunblane, United Kingdom

I’m also a super host and since early 2017 (when I started) the notification that funds were released was 24 hours after guests had checked in - every single time. Payments were always received no later than 2-3 days later. The last few payments have been closer to 6 days later. I noticed the delay only since Citi Ire have come into the picture!! I think it’s really awful to have this length of delay considering the fact that AirBnb have had the funds in their account since the guests booked. It now seems that some sort of deal had been made with Citi Ire whereby they hang onto the funds until they’re good and ready to transfer them. Should definitely not have to wait this long for payment when guests have been and gone! 

thank you for your comments.. what I find so frustrating is when you contact Airbnb they pretend not to know anything about the delay and the new payment system.

I am not even sure how this works for declaring the income for tax reasons if it does not look as if it is Airbnb income anymore.. it comes from citibank.

Is there no one who can answer honestly and transparently why Airbnb are holding on to our money for this time-even though it is still within the time frame .. they do say allow 7 days for the payment to arrive.

what can we do?

Mark-and-Julie1
Level 3
United Kingdom

I too have noticed the same.

I have a guest checking out today and I haven't had the funds yet although I have the email to notify me it's in my account. Very strange!  

Jennifer118
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Yes, we are having the same issues. Payments often arrive in our account now after the guests have come and gone. It did not used to be that way.