Leaving a bad review for your guest

Alison7
Level 2
Darwin, Australia

Leaving a bad review for your guest

A middle aged couple from South Australia, they arrived in the afternoon and then went out- and didnt get back til after midnight. We both work, so it was three days before we finally meet him- but not her- he made some rather dismissive comment about my partner referring to her as 'the other one'. They made no real effort to communicate with us, stayed in the room or were out. Most of our conversations were to enquire if things were ok, did they need anything to make them more comfortable- no, they said , its all ok. Then they left a negative review about the tea towels were dirty , there was no bathroom plug., the front entrance was cluttered and messy,.. I wonder why they didn't  just stay in a hotel in the first place. Feel mistrustful, disillusioned and sad about our experience last week, its the first really negative experience after three years of Air bnb..

13 Replies 13
Tina237
Level 3
Bideford, United Kingdom

They didn't stay in a hotel because it would be more expensive.  Some people are never satisfied - don't let it worry you.  I let a cottage rather than part of my house but I've had one or two guests like this in the past and it's usually the ones who've got a bargain and been the most demanding.  Guests like this are in the minority, most are lovely.

Yes isnt that funny! The only time we have had negative comments is from the less well off, for whom travelling is a rare treat, and staying with us because it's a cheaper alternative. This guy has been retired for 20 years and his wife said he doesnt do a thing at home!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Alison7  I also have had guests in my private room that are not the "friendly" type.  Not as fun for me, but I don't take it personally.  If "Hugh" is the guest you are referring to, I thought the review was generally positive with only a brief mention of a first impression.

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

"The Other One" is the part that bothers me! Did they mean this because you are both women and they were negative regarding the fact that you MAY or MAY NOT be lesbian? I know that is presumptuous of me - bringing this up, but that definitely sounds like a derogitory term - and thus would be against AirBnB's TOS - even if you are not lesbian.

It didnt feel very nice. At our first meeting in the kitchewn as I was going to work, he was very abrupt, and suggested we left some 'local info' in the room too- which was all there, but up on the shelf.  I had gone to some lengths to write out all the attractions to see on the local beachside path , and left it on the desk in the room. He hadn't seen it nor had he seen the brochures on the shelf. I brought it to his attenton- even put them into a folder! Later he admitted he had been wrong about this but it didn't change the first impressions I had of him. Those very first impressions  he criticised us for!

The old canvas we have hanging up over the garage door at the end of the driveway is to deter people ( it obviously did!) as this is where we store out valuable framing timber! The clean tea towels were in the (glass fronted) kitchen cupboard- and whenever either of us saw them we asked if there was anything we could do to make them more comfortable! Gah!

Ah well, I'm over it now, great that Airbnb give us somewhere to discuss these things.

His wife was absolutely lovely and I could have spent more time with her. Only saw her a couple of times very briefly.I invited them both into my studio- at least he didnt criticise that!

I do wonder why they chose to stay here and not in a hotel. Cheaper I guess.

I've actually noticed the same thing with my Denver Airbnb where the lowest paying guests leave the lowest rated reviews. I really don't understand why - if you're getting a bargain wouldn't you be more appreciative? Now, rather then trying to host as possible and drop the price for empty nights, I prefer to leave days unbooked  

Not my overall preference, but better then low caliber guests with unrealistic expectations. I think sometimes people are just mean because it's fun 

Yes I think you are right there. We had a bad reveiw from this lady who had not had a holiday for years, and - although we did ask her what we could do better- she let rip! We smartened everything up after that- new soaps, house info, fluffy towels, bleached grout...etc etc etc. House looks better for it. Its always hard to hear what you dont do. Our current guests could not be happier, they love everything, dust, wildlife, bugs included!

Jan209
Level 6
North Maleny, Australia

yep, cheaper.   I have come to find the more trouble they seem on first contact, the more trouble they will be.  And mostly older people I have found, I am careful with them, now. And they are most likely to smile, be demanding and leave bad reviews.    Were they from CAnberra...lol, i find they are very demanding. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I view people that are 'unfriendly' as just that - they are unfriendly. The reasons are immaterial since at this age I don't really care any longer why. 🙂

Reminds me of an old time actress (I think Joan Blondell, though sounded like something Joan Crawford would say) who said - "Your opinion of me is none of my business".

yes Fred I agree but still it is not a good feeling to read - in retrospect on ones public profile- things we could have fixed up so easily at the time!

@Alison7: I compassionately agree with you - guests leaving poor reviews despite being helped by the host (from my experience). Start supporting the idea of rating guests as well and showing it publicly (discussion somewhere else in CC).

And as @Emily264 put it, maybe it is better not to lower rates because it attracts ever-complaining guests.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Jan209
Level 6
North Maleny, Australia

yes, so very true! But we do rate them!  And we have that great option the box we tick that says "would you recommend this Guest" and then we put our instant booking settings to be "must be recommended by other Hosts."

@Alison7Of course it isn't pleasant. People that are ornary in nature, or haven't traveled nor have at least some nice things, can't appreciate the nicer things in life. As you mentioned, raise your prices to attract a level of clientele which is best suited for your place and manner.

Would love the ability to give the ~guests~ stars.