My husband and I have been Airbnb guests for a few years, and we just started hosting two months ago. So far, we have had ~10 guest groups, and a maddening, albeit small, issue with two of them: 4 stars for location, putting us at a current average of 4.5 stars. As a guest, I have never given anyone less than 5 stars on location for one reason: I always know the location of the Airbnb beforehand. I make sure that it will fulfill the goals that I want to achieve while I am staying in that particular place. If my main goal is to see the Cristo in Rio and I chose an Airbnb that's far away from the Cristo, that's totally on me as an Airbnb guest!

In our particular situation as hosts, we're seeing a trend. We live in Boulder (Colorado), and guests are motivated to come here for one of three reasons: to visit someone at the University of Colorado, to hike/run/bike the trails, or to go to Pearl Street (downtown). What I'm noticing is that both guests who left 4 stars were here to visit Pearl Street, which is an 8 minute drive from our house. CU and trails are very close to us, so guests who are interested in one of those two things never knock us on location.

I have read defensive responses from Airbnb that claim the "Location" rating will guide potential guests in their decision to stay at a place. But I don't think Airbnb makes it clear what "Location" really means. It is very subjective. For one person, an Airbnb might be in a good location because it's in a safe neighborhood. For another person, it may be in a good location because it's near cafés, restaurants, and the mountains. For the next person, it may be in a crummy location because it's not in the heart of downtown. 

Listen, I know that people don't read or do their research, especially when using the "Instant Book" feature. I get that. However, location is the one thing that a guest has an exact idea of before booking. It's impossible to lie about where you are ... Airbnb shows you a map of the area! If the location doesn't appeal to the guest for his or her particular needs for the trip, then they simply should not book the Airbnb. The host should not be penalized for a guest's mistake. If you arrive at my place and it's filthy, not as pictured, or my communication is awful, then that's my fault. But if you arrive and just then realize that you can't step out the door and suddenly you're downtown ... that's on you. 

Here's my appeal to Airbnb to get rid of the "Location" rating. There's no way to be objective about it, and the guest has all necessary location information beforehand. 

61 Replies 61
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This must rank as THE #1 criticism of Airbnb review system. Regardless of how cautious and exact hosts are with the description of their  location, guests ding hosts for 'location' foremost (usually exclusively) without accepting any responsibility. It is the one thing guest can know with certainty before even booking, if they bothered to read, think or ask questions.  Hosts can't possibly guess if their location is perfect for where the guest wants to be near of, nor can they move their place to accomoidate them.

Airbnb stobburnly continous to include it, as if they are on some moral crusade to allow guests to be so lazy.

Greetings,

I`m a new host, for now I have all ratings 5, exept of course the location. My accomodation is not in the center of the city (but it is also written), is not even on top of the mountain (also it is visible), but most of my ratings of location is 4. I try not to be bothered with it but... People don`t reed description that`s the problem (also not looking the map)

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

THE #1 criticism   -   Completely agree with @Fred13

Our 3rd & 4th guests rated us 4 on location. One recommended a lamp on both sides of the couch for reading. The second asked before booking if she could hear vehicle traffic from our location, to which my wife replied 'no', which was not accurate. We've received 36 reviews now & we're still digging our way out of these two 4's for location. It's important to review your listing(s) regularly to make sure they reflect the changes & improvements you've made. 

I probably should have added that we state distances in our listing, and we point out that this probably isn't the place to stay if you want to spend most of your trip hanging out downtown. I think that in a lot of cases, the guest is at fault for not reading the description or referencing the map. I have tried my best to be very explicit about what guests should expect, but I know that most people don't really read the listing. I think that's why I'm frustrated with the option to rate "Location" ... the rating actually seems to reflect the guest's own ability to understand where the property is located beforehand, and how good of a fit the nearby amenities will be for that particular guest.

At the same time, I think that visuals resonate with and catch people's attention the most. We are going to add a photo of the mountain views from our home and caption it with something like "Our place is perfect if you want to get away from the center of the city and enjoy an amazing hike or run in the mountains." Maybe that will further emphasize the "we are not located downtown" point, and we'll get guests who find the location to be a better fit for their needs? Going to try that, and hopefully that will reduce the number of 4 star ratings that we get. Fingers crossed. 

I agree, but as a fairly new host, the first lesson I've learned is that Airbnb neither monitors nor cares one iota about what's discussed in this forum. 😞

@Jeanine-And-John0

LOL that is hilarious.

"Can you hear traffic?" 

This is the United States. We've had cars everywhere for 100 years.

You should have run from this guest immediately!

"No you can't hear the traffic, because the trains next door drown them out."

The guest was very kind to you and was telegraphing how crazy she was. She gave you the opportunity to say "No way do I want your unrealistic expectations here" 

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Thank you @Paul154 for making complete sense - very refreshing indeed

funny response paul, but true.

i'm on the outskirts of NYC, ie not right in the heart of Manhattan. So far, for the most part, guests appreciate how reasonably priced my rooms are, and while they often mention they didn't realize how long it would take to get to the airport, times square, etc, they still acknowledge they are getting a crazy good deal.  the ungrateful guest who pays $40 for a very comfortable room with cable and internet, then has the nerve to dock me for location..???  is not welcome here again.  and believe me, after doing their research, they definitely try to come crawling back.  people can be quite silly.

Waka2
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

I agree, i was at 5 star for my two listings, and I stated exact times (by car, and by transit) to the popular locations, (accurate times, not 'generous times with no traffic') and if i get less than 5 stars on Location, i'm thoroughly confused, you chose the location, you have a map of the city.. how do you not rate 5 star for YOUR choice?.. I don't understand, i think it should be removed.

@Lindsey-and-Hernán0      See this Host Voice    "Location:  As A Guest Review Point"  by @nancy

Quote below from Airbnb Response to it and why they archived the request, the rest of it can be viewed on the above link: 

"Since LOCATION is not something you can change or control, it doesn’t impact the overall Star Rating for the listing or Superhost status."

I did see that thread, and that answer from Airbnb ... but I don't think that's good enough. I mean, as a guest, if I see that someone has less than 5 stars for location, I start to wonder why. Theoretically, as a guest, I probably am not intimately familiar with the area that I'm visiting. So, let's say that I see that a listing has less than 5 stars on location. What does that mean?? Does it mean that I'm in danger of being shot when I walk out the front door? That things may get stolen out of my rental car? Or does it mean that the place is not located near the hippest attraction in town?

The other ratings make perfect sense. For example, if a listing ranks low in cleanliness, the place probably isn't spotless. Low ranking in value? The place is probably a tad bit expensive for what it is. Communication? The host wasn't readily available. Anyway, you get the idea for the other ratings. Location is just incredibly subjective. As a guest, I never understood what criteria I was supposed to use to rate it, so I always gave a 5. As a host, I now understand that other guests don't really "get it" either. 

So, to circle back: Airbnb is saying that the ranking doesn't affect your overall star rating or superhost status. I think that what they are saying, in effect, is that the location ranking doesn't really matter. Which makes me wonder, again, why they even *have* a ranking for it. It's hard to claim that if a listing has, say, a 1 star rating for location, that you won't think twice about going ahead with booking it. It may not technically matter, but seeing less than 5 stars for anything really does matter when a person is thinking about booking. 

@Lindsey-and-Hernán0 

I do understand, it used to drive me crazy, it could mean absolutely anything from too near to too far from tourist spots, from too quiet to too loud.  I have gotten less location stars because they didn't read the description and expected an elevator.  I guess two flights to climb was not a good location for them.

But, I would not want to host a guest who assumed less than 5 stars was a negative.  It means they have not read anything, do not understand Airbnb, and can't be bothered to ask, and may well have expectations that are off the charts relative to what is offered -  in the real world a three-star BNB or hotel is considered good, a bargain. Most of my guests are great and understand what Airbnb is about and research their trips and decide on reviews not stars. Plus, I undersell my place so they always get better than they expect.

As for Cleanliness, Arrival, Value and Communication they are equally as subjective. Here are some of the more extreme I have had.

- Less for Cleanliness because the guests thought the garbage bags on the gritty NYC streets – dirty, another was that the Super had used Mr. Clean in the entrance hallway instead of an organic product.

- Less on Arrival because they arrived hours early, didn't tell me, even though I let them leave their bags here before check-in.

- Less on Value because despite them using my jams and preserves and bread (not on offer and I ignored it as I only realized it the day before they left) I ran out of Earl Grey an hour before they checked out, they used two boxes in six days - don't ask me how,  I have no idea.  They told me it was a black mark against value, and followed it up with - we're only joking – but still gave 4 stars anyway.

- I have gotten less on communication because I was not awake at 2am to respond to a question weeks before they arrived.

I have stopped worrying about it. I do my best, basta!  The only thing that really annoyed me, was when Airbnb decided 4 stars warranted a warning, but even that is now water off a duck's back. I know it sounds glib but I refuse to get tangled up and frustrated in something I cannot change - human perception,  and – in Airbnb's weird rating categories and star performance, which are for marketing its company and building its brand.  My guess and from knowing people in the world of tech,  is that the data collected serves some other project. Maybe one on human perception - who knows.  It is the latest hi-tech thing apparently. It would be crazy and super expensive to collect and store all that data just for hosts and guests benefit,  companies do not work that way.

@Ange2

You are very spot-on about Airbnb's purposes. Airbnb are very smart people.

While it may seem all this data collection might be for the host/guest experience, it's for another valuable purpose.

Real-estate developers and our future competitors will pay BILLIONS of dollars for all this detailed information about Location, value and  rental prices that we all are copiously providing for free.

Welcome to the new age.