Lyft fixes ratings - default 5*, remove lowest. Airbnb could learn...

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Lyft fixes ratings - default 5*, remove lowest. Airbnb could learn...

Some ideas for Airbnb here...

The second change is one over which riders have no direct control — drivers will automatically get a five-star rating if a rider forgets to rate them. In addition, the company said, “To protect good drivers from one-off low ratings that can have an inflated impact on their overall average, we will be continuously removing each driver’s single lowest rating for every 100 rides they give.” Lyft also plans to require riders explain all ratings of four stars or less, and will remove ratings for factors outside of the driver’s control, like heavy traffic.

8 Replies 8
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pete28

Apparently Airbnb is looking into potentially removing a one-off bad rating from hosts' statistics, but I believe not the review itself. There was a post recently on the forum about this and other changes, asking for feedback.

I like your other ideas too.

I think it shows that we gig workers (bleh) are terrorized by random reviews. If Airbnb had a rival with a better review system, farewell Airbnb....

@Pete28

I am very impressed with both Uber and Lyft's review system.

Easy, to the point and generous to create good will.

As you note, the big difference is Competition. Lyft and Uber are competing against one another. Uber ONLY introduced the tipping line item because Lyft did it.

Sadly for us hosts, Airbnb has no real competition for shared housing 😞

There is no other formidable company competing to serve hosts better...

@Paul154

Seattle hosts should unionize !

while I have you, can you check your pricing when you do a search in Seattle via web - see my other thread where Airbnb seems to not provide a full total any more during search (ignoring cleaning fee etc). Do you get the same result ? It's killing my bookings 😞

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing @Pete28, it is interesting to hear about things you like in other review systems. How would you suggest this would work for Airbnb's review system? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

It's clear that a lot of hosts find the review process stressful and it's open to guests bullying them over scores :

- make it clear that 5* is as expected or default, not beyond

- all damage claims should block reviews being published until Airbnb has validated no reprisal

- less than a year ago the lowest 20% of reviews didn't count. Now seems like a halcyon time 🙂

@Lizzie31

Thank you so much for asking. For higher compliance and less bias, Airbnb needs to simplify the review system.

15 seconds TOPS. Star ratings only, "How was your stay?"

1,2,3,4,5 stars. Period.

The whole international community understands stars and can respond.

Then guest can submit.  Airbnb can ask OPTIONAL questions, but only if guest chooses.

Just like UBER.

Oh - and put it choices for a cash tip please. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

If  Airbnb don't fix the pricing problems I am still seeing (not showing total cost inc cleaning fee etc in search and map) I will be shutting down my listing....