Misunderstanding of airbnb home hosting by City Councillors and governing!

Misunderstanding of airbnb home hosting by City Councillors and governing!

I am posting to protect airbnb stance in home hosting internationally! I am so dissapointed on some MP's and councillors who create negative issues in regards to anyone hosting their homes to guests. In most cases, I have hosted amazing international guests whom are respectful. These guests have supported local cafes, restaurants, shops, adding towards the GST renevue of most cities. 

Another reason people host is to help its cities lack of accomodation which is excessive in price by hotels. Before the airbnb home sharing availability, hotels were charging $350 to $450 a night's stay. Competition was needed and competition is healthy! It simply improves standards for tourists. 

Authorities should appreciate tourists travelling and spending in your cities and be thankful it actually provides JOBS JOBS JOBS and a humble income. 

Some groups may be taking it too far by abusing the syatem but generally its local people/overseas travellers that make this airbnb work well and should not be dismissed by local government in any city. Otherwise it could affect your tourism revenue on cafes, restaurants, etc! 

Does a city want business or do they want their businesses to shut! So many guests support these businesses and its really about time more positivity is addressed by these co called politicians who is actually payed by local tax payers. What politicians don'tr understand are the TAXES, YES every one pays tax or personal tax in renting their homes out because the syatem is in bank accounts, itys not a cash industry. Its so annoying when politicians go on TV news and complain about hosts and TAX.

I would like to see much more positivity in regards to dumb politicians who are not hosts and have no understanding of the community sharing economy!

Have a nice day!

5 Replies 5
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

So very well written Syl!!

It's generally come from people who don't comprehend it's not the role of Council's to collect TAX!!

Many of these Councillors have never ever worked in hospitality / tourism or at the coalface to know the hardyards & small amount of money some are paid for providing a valuable service.

It reminds me when I was hosting International Language School students & how "rich" some were as a result, I hardly think $1.00 an hour for one's time is much money.

There's planning involved that takes time that these "Councillors" need to wake up to & it's considerably less per night than they hourly rate they get paid for often doing stuff all.

It seems as if it's an International topic of discussion at the moment.

I see there's been 60,000 listings removed from Airbnb in Japan this week.

We must be thankful for the internet, when it works, to network in an instant

Thank you Helen, sadly in Sydney the local government has decided today that they will limit some hosts to 180 days a year. Its not right that they interfere in peoples private homes, its not their homes, should not be any of their business how owners choose in their own time. its pretty disgusting that they authorise the new terms. 

So many people need their home sharing income to pay their bills and here is an ignorant local govt that think they can dictate. They can't even get their own govt roles jobs in tack. They have abuse billions of dollars of tax payers funding, sold off most public assets to fund their over budget light rail which is two years delayed because the company building it is sueing this currect government. 

If they can't get their heads around TAXES, Yes every airbnb host pay TAX because its not a cash economy. They are using that terrible excuse about one to two  incident of young guys partying at a hosts apartment. From hundreds who are quiet guests never offending, this local govt has decided to punish everyone. 

DISGUSTING LIBERAL NSW. Incompetant of producing a decent public transport network without selling out all opur public assets you could get voted out next election a year away!

SHAMEFUL

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Syl, make sure you reach out to hosts in your area and in Australia who are all impacted by these new terms imposed by local Councils, via this forum - there's a PM system there as well as a swag of hosts listings you can network with.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

People fear what people don't understand.

People don't understand Airbnb and people don't understand/trust that market forces will balance supply with demand.

Being very small and new to this real estate party, Airbnb is being scapegoated and justifiably so.

We are a democratic weapon that defies the central powers of government. The power of guests to find hosts simply allows people choice that match their needs. 

We as hosts must shine and remind all that we are part of the solution. We are innovative. We are matching people's needs and wants. 

Most importantly, we must protect our private property rights.  So many governments believe our property is their property.

It is not.

It is our property which just happens to be in their jurisdiction.

I agree with your philosophy. I first used airbnb in 2013 in Boston. Hosting is not as easy as politicians think it is. It can take months and months of zero bookings because people need a trust factor before they actually book a place. A new host needs decent reviews to beable to get bookings. Much like most products on the market worldwide. 

Firstly anyone that is sceptical doesn't have to use this method of travelling. Some tourist  use it to get advise from locals about their cities. Its endless how and why guests use this method. Everyone will do what benefit their trip be it good or bad. 

The mystery is like chance, it could work in your favour or it may be perfect. It may be clean, it may not be clean. Regardless thats the mystery of using this platform. I have had family members being scammed from booking a property in NYC and there was no property upon arrival. They don't like to use this way of booking. I am fine using it because it worked fine for me. Its a chance situation. Thats the mystery of dealing with strangers! 

I will do a stress test of why its more positive then negative.

Positives:

Pays the bills

Meet interesting people

Helping travellers from an international perpective

Helping your local businesses by buying fresh flowers, fruits, cleaning products, furnitures, rugs, homewares, the lost is actually endless. So many furniture/homewares/bed, bath products are benefitting from hosts updating and improving furnishings. Electrical homewares are benefitting from selling so much electrical appliances to hosts. Any Department store is reaping those rewards.

Guests support all the local business such as restaurants, cafes, pubs, bars, public transport, taxis, the list is endless.

GST is collected from any sale of goods/services including Tax

Negatives:

Some guests damaging your home but one can arrange some form of security deposits

People inteferring with your hosting decisions and its not their private property. Example: Governments/councillors/Mp's, some neighbours.

Lack of vetting of respectful guests

Guests taking advantage of Hosts hospitality however reviews can identify the problems.

My thoughts are: Experience responsible hosts should never be capped. They are responsible to know how much hosting they would like and not have any outsiders dictate when its really not their property or business. Hosts with one listing should nopt be capped.

Governments are so ineffective for their communities they should not be in government!

Politicans are paid by TAX PAYERS. Politicians bleed on TAX PAYER FUNDS as well as exploiting TAX FUNDS. Not a fan of politicians!