Mobile Broadband, SIM back up in US for guests when internet not working. Any ideas?

Mobile Broadband, SIM back up in US for guests when internet not working. Any ideas?

Hi fellow hosts!

I have seen many people suggest a SIM card or mobile broadband as backup for guests when the internet is down.

It seems very commonplace all over Europe, in Aus. and other areas, but  I have found few in the US. Maybe I am using the wrong search term, I keep on getting the ones that use hotspots. But in an internet outage those do not work.  Any thoughts? Do you have a backup and if so what do you use?

3 Replies 3
Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

Look for mobile hotspot. There are also routers which will automatically failover to 3G/4G LTE connection if primary network source is lost.
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

@Andrew90

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Ange2 There are lots of options. You can get a mobile hotspot (which DOES work if your cable internet goes out). Some routers support a SIM card, and will fail over to the mobile network if the land-line goes down. Other routers allow you to plug in your cell phone via USB to use as a backup.

Of course, if you're home, you can just use your phone's hotspot in an emergency. Most phones support 6-10 or so connections which should be plenty for you and your guest on an emergency basis.