More and more inquiries for discounts.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

More and more inquiries for discounts.

What is happening in the Airbnb world that I have seen such a surge in requests for discounts? I have declined them all as "not comfortable with this guest". Thankfully I don't really need the income, but this must be happening to guests that do rely on extra cash from their listing. Is it because there are so many new listings so desparate for bookings that they will give in to requests for discounts? That must be it. I have hosted for over 4 years and have never had to decline so many inquiries. I may even get dinged by Airbnb because there is no drop down menu in "decline" for "guests asking for a discount".

48 Replies 48

am all the way in kenya,i have noted that guys who want to stay more than a week want to be given such huge discounts..dont know whats really happening.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Discount sometimes is part of the business anywhere!

discount.jpg

Those are hotels....not at all the same. If potential guests want those kind of discounts they really do need to book a hotel. I hope that Airbnb is not encouraging potential guests to ask for discounts. Hotel rooms are not unique places to stay. They are cold and sterile..a place to spend the night. A listing for a whole house is a whole lot more......and it is only "one of".

I used to refer discount seekers to the local Best Western, I know he will disount when business is slow.

David
Lee143
Level 3
Rehoboth Beach, DE

Hi Monica,

I'm new to Airbnb just in the last 2 months, but have quickly learned about the types of people that ask for discounts. As some have suggested, it's a cultural thing (my very first two bookings were both Indian couples one of whom asked for a deal). I've had families request discounts (but they don't bother to read my rule that I don't allow children), and military too (only once, but it was also a family who pushed, pushed, pushed). I had a ridiculously long message from someone telling me all their past woes about bad health, and job/family problems (obviously hoping I would feel sorry for them) but also wanting me to allow their adult daughter to come "free" because she had been in a car accident and was willing to sleep on my couch (I told them NO ONE sleeps on my couch!). I began to get disenchanted with Abnb... wondering if it was going to be like this all the time?

I dropped my rates in the very beginning to those who ASKED for a deal, in order to build business -- but only because I didn't start out with low prices to begin with, as Airbnb suggests, because I really need the money. But turned out that the people who I did give a break to, were not the best guests, as they seemed to try to game me for every extra little thing. So, by the 4th time I was asked for a discount, I started responding with what my hotel competition was charging, and how I had such better value. Suddenly those people just went ahead and booked. Only one guy (just this past week) hesitated and said he'd think about it, but then the next day he came back and booked full price. (Clearly he had done his research and confirmed what I told him.) He arrives tomorrow.. so we'll see what kind of guest he is.

Some people I just go ahead and pre-approve for full price. I have never declined anyone, they just seem to weed themselves out. The military family who pushed so hard to allow me to let them bring their kids AND drop my price just backed off. The "pity us" family didn't book either (because I wouldn't allow 3 people in the room, or the daughter on the couch).  I had a guy who I went round and round with, trying to work with his schedule and requested budget, finally coming to an agreement. The next day he said he was just going to bunk with his family instead -- what a waste of my time trying to work with him. Live and learn.

Now, the moment people even hint that my price is high, or higher than Airbnb first listed it as (due to weekend rates kicking in) -- I immediately go into my speil about how great value I offer, that the competition is higher or sold out, and suddenly these people are all lining up to book me. Maybe it's my confidence? I admit I charge a high price (probably one of if not THE highest Airbnbs in my town), but I am in a resort/vacation area, so no one is booking for any other reason than to go on holiday. Plus, I seem to get just last minute bookings, so I believe that justifies a higher price, too. I offer quality, and say so. "Lesser prices get you a lesser experience, is that what you want?" I ask them. "It's YOUR vacation, you decide -- you need to determine if you want a great vacation, or a not-so-great vacation." And the bookings roll in... 😉

When someone ask for discounts I suggest them to book other days with lower rates... But as many of the hosts said before, this kind of guests can be problematic... 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What do fellow hosts think about this booking inquiry? Does it sound like more trouble than it's worth?

I get an inquiry from someone on behalf of their daughter (she is 23, so not a baby). I explain that Airbnb does not approve third party bookings, so she will have to send a request from her own account. They are also asking for a discount because she wants to stay 11 nights. I explain that a 10% weekly discount is already applied and I can't offer an additional discount because my prices are already very low for London.

So, I get another inquiry from the actual guest. But, she casually mentions that her friend might stay over a few nights as well. I explain that will entail an additional fee (I charge £15 a night for a second person) and that I prefer for any guests to be officially on the booking. She says it's not certain yet that her friend will stay so we can deal with that at the time.. Can she drop off her bags earlier? I can't say as the booking is months ahead and I don't know my work schedule yet.

Now she wants me to 'hold' the dates for her before she books so she can pay later...

Every message is another request for something that is either A. against Airbnb policy or B. not in line with my house rules, athough none of them on their own are a big deal and can be dealt with. I'm just sensing that this might be the start of trouble...

By the way, her parents are hosts, so I assume they know how this all works!

I think I might plan a holiday during the dates she wants.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Lol @Willow3, the inquiry turned into a booking request almost the minute I posted about this so now the 24 hour clock is ticking...

She has confirmed she agrees to all my house rules (something I ask all guests to clarify before booking) and yet I sense that there is little intention of following them! Perhaps I am just being paranoid though.

Personally I would pre approve, keeps ABB happy, mention that any additional person would need to be added in advance and can be dealt with later and that ABB is a first come first served system and that you recommend she finalises her plans before somebody else books.

No discounts.

David
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @David126. She already changed her inquiry to a request after I told her that the reservation is not 'held' for her just because I pre-approve. So, now I have to decide whether to accept it or not, but yes, I guess I just have to be crystal clear about additional guest fees, check in times etc.

@Huma0  You will have to be careful with this one. She may claim that her friend only stayed one night when in actually fact it could be more than that. Do you have any way of knowing if the friend will be there or not, and for how many days. Personally, this is one guest I would have declined.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Monica4 unfortunately I just accepted before seeing your response as I was running out of time. However, yes, I will be able to tell because the room is in my own home rather than a separate unit. I also work from home most days (from the ground floor) so am very aware of who is coming and going. Unless of course she is really sneaky about it, but she has already given me the heads up that this might happen and also mentioned the dates her friend might potentially stay.

I just stressed again when accepting the booking that her friend would need to pay for any nights she stays and that this will have to be agreed in advance.

I do not allow guests to have visitors without my permission, so even having a visitor during the day without my prior knowledge would be a breach of my house rules and something I could challenge if necessary. Athough I have occasionally allowed guests to have visitors, providing they don't stay over, I think in this case I need to be more strict about that if her friend does not book/pay in advance, just to make sure she's not trying to stay over.

@Huma0, and next will come the request to pay outside of the Airbnb site!  grrrrrrr.  Your place is so lovely, they should consider themselves lucky to find it! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Monica4 @Susie5 so the guest I mentioned above has come and gone. When I chased her about whether her friend was staying or not, it turns out she was expecting to bring two friends (listing states clearly that it's maxiumum two people per room) but hadn't thought to mention this to me!

In the end, I did give her a discount, i.e. agreed that one of her friends could stay for free, but only because I there were going to be some builders here during her stay, so it was to compensate for that. She actually wanted both friends to stay for free, but I said no.

Despite the discount, she still mentioned the builders in her review, plus marked me down for accuracy and even value!

Although she wasn't really any trouble during her stay, the overall experience was not a great one for me, so I should have heeded the warning signs and not accepeted the booking in the first place.