Names of all guests

Helen267
Level 10
St. Andrews, United Kingdom

Names of all guests

Hello again everyone - I've searched on this topic but nothing recent or definitive came up, so I thought I'd ask:

How do I collect the names of all the guests (in my case, up to 8 plus one infant)?

It's something I want to do for a variety of reasons: mainly knowing who is staying in my holiday cottage; and so that I can personalise the greeting basket.

(As an aside, I've just learned from the Professional Association of Self-Caterers UK that in the UK, according to the Immigration (Hotel Records) Order 1972 - and yes this includes self-catering - it is still my legal obligation to collect the names of all guests over the age of 16 (and their nationalities, and next destination!!), and retain them for 12 months. GDPR does not over ride this obligation. I understand that this legislation is considered obsolete and is a candidate for repeal under the Gvt's Red Tape Challenge, but as things stand it is still the law).

I'm sure when as a traveller I book with Airbnb I am asked for the names of everyone in my party, but where as a host can I find this information? It seems clunky to ask my booking guest to input all the information twice.

FYI

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 14.40.01.png

5 Replies 5
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen267 we use a registration form when guests arrive.

https://www.outofeden.co.uk/products/6007/out-of-eden-guest-registration-cards

The Pink book has all the legal info you need, available online with the link below

https://www.visitbritain.org/business-advice/know-your-legal-obligations#guests

Helen267
Level 10

Thanks @Jeff158, that looks like a great solution if you get to meet your guests. I am a remote host so it wouldn't work for me - I can't quite believe I can't get this info directly from ABB, since they have it.

@Helen267 wrote:

Thanks @Jeff158, that looks like a great solution if you get to meet your guests. I am a remote host so it wouldn't work for me - I can't quite believe I can't get this info directly from ABB, since they have it.

I don't think AirBNB has this information for most groups. Of the 200 +/- groups I have hosted, only about 9 have linked their reservation to multiple people.

I just ask. I really only want a first name so that I can learn them before they arrive. My brain can be mushy when it comes to names.

@Helen267

ABB does not know the information of the other guests that the booking guest intents to bring because they do not require guests to provide this information to ABB or to the host. If the host wants the names of all guests then the host has to get this info directly from the booking guest. This is the only way. Of course, if any of the guests in the group happen to have an ABB account, the booking guest can add them to the reservation but that is it. 

As a guest user, I've never had to provide any information about other guests in my group to ABB. 

Helen267
Level 10

Thanks guys - I just booked a weekend in Paris using ABB and filled in my travelling companion's name (but I don't think it was compulsory). That's fine, I'll just ask the ask the guest directly to give me the names of the party.