New Host Problems - Smart Pricing Implemented without Permission

Galyn0
Level 2
Eden, UT

New Host Problems - Smart Pricing Implemented without Permission

We have been Hosts for one week now. We set up our listing without Smart Pricing as it seemed far lower than any of the other listings in our condominium complex. However, to encourage our first three bookings we agreed to 20% off for the first three bookings. Within 2 days, we had them. When our 4th booking came in I was flabbergasted that the rate was $55, or half of our listing rate. All I can think of is something must have gone wrong with their software and when the 20% expired they automatically switched my account to their very inaccurate Smart Pricing. (One week later we have a booking rate of 7%, which tells you that our $110 a night pricing is still a great deal. We are almost fully booked for our 2 month high season listing.)

I spent an hour with customer service to correct the incorrect pricing and to let Airbnb know they had a programming error. I asked to escalate the problem because their answer was that the pricing was my fault, not theirs. I was told a case manager would call me, keep my phone close. Three days later, no call, I confirmed the $55 reservation because the penalties are great for cancelling a reservation and we are just starting to get our reputation up and running. The next day the support person called back to see if all was good. She apologized for no one calling me and said I could cancel without penalty and they would look into reimbursing me. I told her she was a day late and a dollar short as I had already told the guest we would honor the mistake the Airbnb had made. She said she would get back to me, that they would see what could be done. Three days later - nothing.

Is this the typical support Airbnb provides? It's sad, and a horrible way to start off.

Has anyone else had pricing change without their permission? I am very wary, and feel as though I need to watch every second - particulalry if a discount has been offered. Thank you for responding - I need reassurance at this point. This has been a rough start.

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Galyn0,

Having a special discount has no relation to the way you set your prices. It is not logical "Smart pricing" is suddenly turned on, i never experienced this with my listings. Check your listings reguraly for the price settings. Airbnb seems to be not providing the best communication, better to avoid CS and move on with your hosting, try making the best of it.

Best regards,

Emiel

I agree it's not logical. My 20% off price was $33 higher than the $55 they suddenly applied to all of the remaining availabe days in February!

Galyn

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Welcome to hosting, Galyn.  First, when you use Smart Pricing, just ignore Airbnb's recommendations and put in your preferred price as your minimum.  For you it would be $110.  Then put in a much higher maximum or use their recommended maximum.  Check  your calendar to ensure that the price is never below $110.  It shouldn't be.  You might find that it is higher at certain times.  That's good.

Next, Airbnb support is better after you've become a Super Host, which I know will happen for you as soon as the quarter is over.  Once you're a Super Host you can get immediate help by going to Twitter and messaging @AirbnbHelp.  I've found them to be incredibly responsive every time I've had an issue.

Once I did have a guest who somehow booked with a lower price.  I immediately messaged Airbnb Help and told them, and I also told the guest, sorry, but you got the wrong price.  Airbnb adjusted it and the guest accepted it.

Always remember that you're in charge of your pricing and don't listen to their recommendations to lower your prices.  It's not necessary.  You'll get bookings at whatever price you set.  If things get slow you can always offer a discount, as you did above, which will raise your listing in the rankings.  Don't tell anyone, but before I offer a discount I raise the listing price LOL.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy hosting on Airbnb!

Ann

Ann, thank you so much for the very useful hints. I really appreciate it! Galyn
Angie140
Level 1
Daytona Beach, FL

I have experienced this with no reasoning or resolution from support. I also have had Airbnb make discount decisions behind my back and I have found out only at payout. Even in the details of the reservation I didn’t see where they made this discounted deal which apparently was two and a half weeks before they were set to check in. Ample time to let me in on this information