New here, should I add more beds to increase nightly rate?

New here, should I add more beds to increase nightly rate?

I just opened my home for Airbnb guests and I want to rent out the space as an entire house rather than individual rooms. Currently I have a king bed in the master bedroom, and a queen bed in one of the other rooms, and one room empty (was used as an office). I'd like to increase the nightly rates I charge. The only way I thought it would make a big difference is to add more beds in the house. I'm thinking a bunk bed in the third room, and possibly a day bed in the master bedroom.

What are some other ideas I should consider? 

19 Replies 19
Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Vivian119I'd also be happy to confirm the booking with them in the welcoming message

"Hi XXX, thanks for booking!

Just to confirm i've got you booked for two people on 15th in March, you'll have the master bedroom open for the two of you, if you need the Queen room open to have person in each room then just confirm you want the Extra bedding Pack and I can get that open as well!

Directions- bla bla bla

Check-in- Bla bla bla

See you soon!"

If they want it you press send money for the price. If they don't you leave the room locked.

I'd probably leave the room ready just in case, even with the door locked, then if they arrive and want it they can pay instantly on the app and you can open the room and hey presto, sorted.

As long as you're clear, guests are usually normal and nice people!

Bruna-and-Siana0
Level 10
Santa Clara, CA

Hi @Vivian88

I'm in the same general area (Santa Clara, CA). This area have mostly business travelers rather than groups or families on vacation. Is your hosue in Los Gatos or by the beach? The first picture of your listing seems a bit misleading. 

I would add one bed in the extra room as other people said. Then you can add a fee for extra guests. Since you are just starting and have no reviews yet, start charging a low price and ask for feedback from guests. I wouldn't try to make money at the beggining, just start building up your profile and getting good reviews. It's also time to start learning about hosting. You'll see what are the guests needs and if you need more beds. Maybe other amenities might be more appreciated and you could charge more. I feel the more people you hosts, the more problems you might have. 

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I would do as Robin suggests... a base price for two guests, then an additonal guest price.  

Forgive the unsolicited advice, but I think it's relevant... You mention wanting to up your per night income.  Number of beds will not help until you create a listing that will attract guests willing to spend $100+ per night.  Your photos show a lived in level of mess - but you list as whole house?  Even if you were sharing the space with the guests, your photos should show the house at it's best.  I can book a room at the Best Western with a pool, for $119... and the rooms look clean and though thought was put into making them look inviting.  If my choice was based on photos - I would chose the BW.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Vivian119  I'd have to agree with @Willow3. The photos don't reflect what I'd want to see if I was looking for a whole house listing. They just look like photos of the place where you live. Bathroom counter covered in products, bed photos with incredibly wrinkled sheets, or looking like someone just slept in them, will not get you bookings. 

The house itself looks sweet and clean. Declutter and remove personal items for the photos. Are you actually living in the house and planning on going to sleep elsewhere when you have guests? Because if this is how the place is going to look when guests arrive for an "Entire House" listing, they won't be pleased.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Vivian119

I think I will be a lone voice here but I do not charge for extra people. I set up a high price based on assumption that I will be at almost full capacity. If small group books- they must want to be able to spread out and are willing to pay for the luxury. 

I personally find larger groups to be more easy going. If something goes wrong they do not tend to fret. Smaller groups nitpick and need a lot of hand holding. 

I set a high deposit and overlook little issues. I cannot even imaging calculating the price based on teh number. Someone is coming, someone has cancelled, someone sneaked in- I do not have the attention span for that.

I do think I would not have had the occupancy I enjoy if I had a smaller capacity, mainly because competition in my area is huge and this makes me stand out.

As for beds, this is what I have for extra:

Floor mattresses- these are great because they are comfy and I can tuck them under the big bed if fewer guests are coming

Air mattresses- only one set of guests did not like them but I personally think it is not my standard and slowly replacing those

Foldable floor mattresses- these are my recent addition and the kind I found is amazing. Only $120 for queen, folds away and feedback from guests has been great.

Futons from IKEA- you can fold them to be a small couch and open to sleep. I hate these for multiple reasons but they serve the purpose.

For your third room bunk is a great idea if it is a smaller space. Otherwise I would recommend double or queen. Cheaper and more comfortable.

Good luck with everything!