Nonchildproofed space and infant request

Marissa191
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

Nonchildproofed space and infant request

Hi everyone, I am a new host and have just stated getting booking requests.  Our space is a small studio apartment, and it is not childproofed at all.  We have included in our listing that the space is not suitable for infants.  I just got a request from an adult traveling with a 6 mo old.  She states she realizes we don't have a crib and is okay with that.  My concern is if it is okay to accept her request when our space is not childproofed at all.  Thanks!

Marissa

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Based on experience, my best advice, @Marissa191 , is to stick to your rules/parameters. You set them up for a reason. Twice in my nine years hosting I agreed to something that doesn't work for my space, and I regretted it both times. Be lovely and polite and wish her the best finding something more suitable. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marissa191 

Marissa, as much as I hate to offer conflicting advice to @Lawrene0 I have to say, you are as safe as houses. A 6 month old baby is not out to discover the world, he/she is still a baby and probably not even crawling. The parents are so new to childhood that they are in all probability still 'helicopter' parents. 

Now if they stated that the child was 11-13 months old you would have reason for concern but, if I was in your situation I would welcome this guest and make my Graco portacot with change table and highchair available for their use!  It's happened plenty of times and I haven't been let down yet!

Cheers........Rob

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Don't listen to @Robin4 , @Marissa191 . Okay, maybe listen to him because he is quite wise and a wonderful host.

However.

I am not worried about that baby. As Robin says, the baby will be fine. I'm worried about mum. She already wants to bend your rules. Instead of looking for something that works for her situation, she is trying to change your place into what she wants. That has not worked out for me. 

It might work for you, though. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lawrene0 

And Lawrene you are quite right.....how often have I said here on the CC don't deal with a haggler....someone who wants to bend your rules.

Lawrene, I pick the battles I want to fight and those I don't. When someone wants to know if I will allow pre wedding guests, what offstreet parking is available, can the house stove be use to cook up those scrumptious nibbles ......no,  I know that will lead to frustration. 

But when someone is travelling with a 6 month old baby, has stated that she knows she is already pushing the boundaries, mate, I tend to give a little bit and make sure that her experience is one that she will look back on kindly! It's not just for Airbnb, it's for me!

Cheers.........Rob 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

If what you mean by “okay” is that you won’t “get in trouble” with Airbnb, making an exception to your children guidelines, especially after having a conversation about it in Airbnb messaging regarding all the warnings, caveats, etc. is “okay”, but make sure there aren’t any kind of grossly unsafe or negligent conditions.  

In most places, I don’t believe you are allowed to refuse children in a full-house rental anyway, although I have seen that point argued here. Although this isn’t an official source, the person quoted below seems to have experience with this:

“Speaking from personal experience, hired legal counsel, and almost being banned from Airbnb.

If you live in the house also (renting out extra rooms while you reside there) you can discriminate and ban children from living there legally.

Actually doing this is not that easy, you can mark 'not suitable for children or infants' which will make your listing not show in the search results if somebody searches for houses after putting in this information. But if somebody finds your house and during booking puts in '2-adults and 3-children' they can still book (It is simply changing the search results to not include your home).

If you do not live in the house and it is a full home rental you absolutely CANNOT discriminate against families with children, it is protected federally, statewide, and on the county/city level under Familial Status, which is a protected class. (I got in trouble for trying this last year and hired an attorney).

If you live there you get more control, you legally can discriminate against pretty much whoever you want (Not saying it is the right thing to do, but legally you can). If full home rental you cannot discriminate against anyone. (United States, unsure for the rest of the world)”

I find that making exceptions in the right circumstances is helpful, because it gives me the opportunity to mention all of my warnings and concerns without being too inhospitable. In this case, something along the lines of: “Because you have been so thoughtful to ask me about this, for you I will make an exception. Just please make sure you watch the child at all times, keep little hands clean, and confine food eaten to the kitchen area”.

Also, to protect yourself against the antics of both children and adults, please make sure you get a short-term rental insurance policy with a sufficient amount of coverage, to supplement anything you might be able to get from AirCover, Host Guarantee, etc.