Offering Movie Channels

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Offering Movie Channels

I am naive about a lot of things, and that includes internet security.  I am thinking of offering Netflix to my guests with my account.

Is that a risky thing to do? 

I host in Japan.  There are various movie and tv services here.  But I am not sure how dangerous it is to offer your account to guests.

I could start a unique account.   What am I worried about? 

Guests somehow figuring out the password, or some other type crime.

Any advice on this appreciated.

Naive in Japan

3 Replies 3
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kevin-s0 Doesn't everyone have his or her own Netflix account?  I just say in the house manual to bring your own log-in.  On Netflix, you can't set up a separate guest account.  You can set up to 5 profiles and call one of them "Guest," but that person could go into your profile or change your settings or something, so I agree that it doesn't feel 100% right to allow that.

You could add, "message me if you don't have a Netflix account and we will set you up for the duration of your stay."  I believe most people would use their own accounts if they have them because they will want to access their favorite shows, or because they might be in the middle of watching a series or some such.

Marie21
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Kevin-s0i have Netflix with my own account info, few guests connect their own account all the rest watch from my account, touch wood never had an issue, the only issue we have sometimes a guest will arrive and Netflix is not connected as previous guests log off.  In my opinion, is not much risk with Netflix as there is no pay per view. And few time i even had to send my login info as I was away.

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

I host hundreds of people from a certain Asian country. About 95% of these guests are fine to fantastic. But about 5% will do whatever they please including disconnect our wifi! We now have our router hidden into a basket that is glued shut. Moreover, our power source is in a very secure holder. There are signs saying do not tamper with wifi or you will face a penalty, with a picture of Harry Potter.

You kind of have to imagine their mind set.

So, although Netflix is the best service and cheapest. I will go with Japan’s Skyperfectv, because it is pretty much tamper proof. (I hope).

Thank you for your comments. It helps me to solidify what I need to do.