Part payments

Michelle789
Level 1
Beechworth, Australia

Part payments

Hi Michelle here. I'm very new to airbnb and I am not sure if part payments are accepted. we have a lady who could not pay all at once and wants to pay the booking in stages. How would other hosts feel about that????

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Michelle789 ,

Airbnb does not provide an option to pay in stages, unless it is a "long term stay" (more then 28 days).

So the guest has to pay the full amount at time of booking.

Best regards, Emiel

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Michelle789 @Emiel1 That is not quite correct. Airbnb have implemented part payments - but you don't get to chose whether a guest gets this option, it's determined by the internal rules Airbnb apply. I believe it's based on a $ amount, not by length of stay. I have recently booked 3 nights accommodation for around $500 and I was offered to pay 50% now and 50% in a few months.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Gillian19 ,

Thanks for pointing this out, i never heared of it nor experienced it . It's also not mentioned in any HELP article. But i noticed also in some other posts this 50% deal does exists, allthough not clear under which exact conditions it is offered.

Best regards, Emiel

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Emiel1 Yes, another mystery Airbnb feature!

Michelle here again, thanks for the feed back. Not sure how it has work that way for us but will research a bit more.   Thanks girls 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I 'think' a guest that just booked with me, was able to choose that new option, since they were so thankful I pointed it out.

Hi Fred,

So, this is not an option I can set on my listing? I have searched and could not find anywhere I can set such an option?

Also,  is it possible to share what basis this option is offered to Guests?

I would like to set this option as I would appreciate more bookings.

Thanks in advance for your response.

@Lorraine-Forex0  No, hosts have no option to specifically offer this. And we don't know on what basis Airbnb offers this option to guests- they don't share information like this with users. 

I've never used Airbnb as a guest, but maybe those who have can post as to whether they have found that it's always offered.

It might not be offered to guests who have had issues with their payments failing before, one would hope.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Lorraine-Forex0 @Sarah977 

From the Airbnb Help Centre:

Can I Split The Cost Of My Reservation Over Several Payments?

If you’re making a reservation for a stay (not an experience) that meets the following requirements, you can split the cost of your reservation across several payments:

• First payment is made with a credit card, debit card, gift card, Airbnb credits, or PayPal
  • Payment is made in any currency except Chinese yuan (CNY), Brazilian real (BRL), or Indian rupee (INR)
  • Reservation has a total value of $50 USD or more, including any taxes and fees
  • Reservation begins at least 14 days in the future (how far ahead you need to book is determined by the listing’s cancellation policy)
  • Reservation is not for a long-term stay (28 nights or more)
  • Travel does not use Airbnb for Work, where your company is invoiced for payment

If your reservation meets this criteria, on the checkout page you’ll have the option to select Pay less upfront. If you don’t see this option, then you’ll need to pay the entire cost of the reservation at once.

If you choose to pay less up front, you’ll pay part of your reservation now, and you’ll be automatically charged the remaining balance at a later date. When you complete the booking, we’ll let you know the date when you’ll be charged the second payment. We’ll also email you a reminder 3 days before the second payment is processed.

If you cancel your Pay less upfront reservation, or the second payment can’t be completed by the date it’s due, you’ll receive a refund according to your reservation's cancellation policy. If you booked with a Strict Cancellation Policy, you’re entitled to a 50% refund, plus the cleaning fees. However, with this type of cancellation, since you've successfully paid only 50% of your reservation cost, we won't issue a refund, and simply won't charge the remaining 50% of your booking total.

Thank you Susan17 and Sarah77 for your valued and timely response.  It is appreciated.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Lorraine-Forex0 ,

I've mentioned @Susan17 and @Sarah977  here so they will get the notification of your response. To make sure someone sees your message, type @ and then their username. 🙂

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines