PayPal withholding payment

Kadek1
Level 2
Bali, Indonesia

PayPal withholding payment

Dear AirBnB Community,

PayPal have "restricted" my account preventing me from withdrawing funds for six months now.  I recently hosted another AirBnB host who told me they no longer use PayPal, mainly because PayPal withheld their funds for over 9 months before finally releasing them.

Are any other hosts being similarly affected? I'd like to know whether PayPal is making a policy of withholding payments once the funds go over a certain threshhold. 

I've been hosting AirBnB guests for several years now, and last year added a number of properties I manage (neighbours and friends who weren't online all the time asked me to help them out). By August last year I came under PayPal scrutiny for having a large amount of funds.

I've now heard of three other cases of funds over $5k being withheld by PayPal without any recourse. They do eventually release the funds, however as they are not paying any interest on the funds they are withholding this seems to me like a dubious practice.

Would love to find out whether my case is an isolated incident or whether this is more widespread.

Thanks for your input!

Warm regards,

Kadek

2 Replies 2

Hi, my last transaction was to PayPal as per my request, however PayPal withheld the amount and froze my account by saying suspicious payment and asking for impossible documents like Due Diligence for Social payment. I have provided them with all other documents they wanted, but with no hope. I have now changed my payment instructions but have you had similar issues with PayPal withholding funds? You may want to review your dealings with PayPal and if you can help me get the funds released, this would be greatly appreciated. 

Haha.. The world is going mad.. I tell you what I believe it is... It's your friendly government who wants to share everything you have... So in order to penetrate control they called it money laundering and anti terrorism act.. Then because it contains those 2 wordings/statements they now can have a better control over PayPal and all other online activities that involves money. 

Right now airbnb is doing the same

They don't give you right information, they won't hault or pause your account but once you have a booking then they will withhold your money... Isn't that theft? To me it is, because they have received the payment from the guest.. The guest is in your property using your utilities.. Property and everything while airbnb refuses to pay and when it's all resolved they take their time.