Payment reversal in Australia

Leanne99
Level 10
Adelaide, Australia

Payment reversal in Australia

Hi All,

Just a heads up in case anyone else is affected November 6 2018

We received an email from AirBnB this morning informing us that our payment was reversed. We contacted our bank to find out why and they could find no reason or evidence that any money had arrived. So, we re-entered our payment details as per the Air BnB email and then received another email from them to say the same thing had happened 14 hours later.

I've just got off the phone to AirBnB help and found out this is a problem at thier end and maybe happening Australia-wide due to a problem with their payment partner here...

They said they have had a high volume of calls about this.

I made the point that early communication about this would be helpful and save us worrying, changing details and calling them.

Hope this saves others the trouble of chasing up Air BnB

Cheers,

Leanne

181 Replies 181
Andrew1031
Level 1
Northmead, Australia

Have exactly the same issue, add a different one then return with an error and just added the old one back in. Good but see this message but why no communication from Airbnb???

Received this email at 5:43 this evening:

A very long delay to issue information about a problem they have been aware of for many hours and possibly days...

Hi Leanne,

We’re currently experiencing a few delays related to sending payouts. And as a result, you may have gotten an email from us that your payout method was set to error. In this case, you don’t need to do anything. We’re working to resolve the delay and will transfer payouts to your payment method(s) on file as soon as possible. We’re sorry about the inconvenience, and we’ll send an update when we resolve this issue.

Best regards, The Airbnb Team

I'm having the same issues. I've only been with Airbnb for 2 months and now all of a sudden they can't pay me. I got a text telling me to ignore any further error messages from them and that they have solved the problem.

It's not solved as of today, 12/11/18

Claire717
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

I have been on the phone and messaging them since yesterday. Sent a rather terse message to them about their broad brush answers not being good enough. Let’s jope this resolved over night.

Tony12
Level 2
Nowra, Australia

Clearly a snafu from airbnb , who should in all conscience , reimburse all those affected (all ozzie hosts?), for their stuff up. Not only delays in payment (given how much $$$ they make on the short term money market holding all that $$$$) but anxiety and time in trying to sort the problem from our end . Appears to be a hack job , but , of course they wouldn,t admit to that.

PS I have no idea how to contact a human in the AirBnB universe...can someone elucidate???

@Robin4 etal 

Looks like they are trying to send payments again. Just received email notification that they have issued my previously returned payment again.

I’m encouraged that this may mean they think the problem is solved - hopefully it makes it this time!

Gregg31
Level 4
Gold Coast, Australia

Hi Tony, dial 02 85203333, apparently we get better service as superhosts, after dialling they will send a text while you are on the line, push the link but dont hang up, they say this is for ID purposes, you then might wait for up to 20 minutes for an answer to be asked what color underwear you have, for ID purposes, you then get a call centre probably in the Philippines, who do their best to assist most of the time, when the don't you can attempt for a supervisor, who are always busy & cant answer, they may generate "a ticket" for you; and suggest someone will call you back in the next 30 minutes.

But not in this case! 3 calls, no valid explanations, no emails about when this problem will be rectified, last night I  received a $ .03 transfer notification to the same bank account I have been using to see if its a valid account.

If we are their valued superhosts, then why are they treating us with contempt? 

Its about time they communicated with us before we cancel ALL reservations & go to STAYS or Mr Bnb!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gregg31

I have just had 1 hour on the phone to CX in Canada, and mate they have absolutely no idea what is going on. They are just as much in the dark as we are. He started off telling me my 4 payouts have been released and I will receive them by 11.00am Nov 8th!!!!! So I directed him to my transaction history which shows them each as upcoming transactions, yet to be released by Airbnb.

He kept on telling me I needed to set another payout preference which in the end I did. I didn't want to because I thought it might just complicate things still further as there was noithing wrong with the existing one, but god almighty who can we turn to for help if it is not the company's paid support staff?

Gregg, mate, we have to hang in here but this has come as a serious jolt!

Cheers......Rob

Leonie69
Level 2
Jervis Bay, Australia

Hi Tony Try 02 8520 3333   Urgent .I have spoken with them they told me to do nothing the glitch is their end and they were attending to it .Though that is some days ago. I emailed again today .

I will soon block my calendar so as not to Host any longer with risk of no payment.

I'm confident it will all be sorted eventually .

Leonie

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Tony12

Yeah Tony, the Sydney phone number is 02 85203333 and that will get you onto a living human being, however, I would warn you , in my three years of being with Airbnb I have never seen any where near this much phone traffic before. You could be in for a long wait.

But Tony, mate, there are other contact options and this link will spell them out for you. One of the best is to contact through Twitter. They respond quickly and there seems be a more informed level of staff who man the Twitter feeds......

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245#M5...

All the best Tony.

Cheers......Rob

Thanks Robin, I thought AirBnb was essentially AI computer stuff and the founding members (allegedly human) are still on their airbeds in California......rolling in cash!! Thats what it feels like!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Tony12

Yeah this has shaken me a bit, I have been such a strong advocate for Airbnb, I have even had 200 'Airbnb Welcome' shop window stickers printed which I have handed out to shops in our area. I have involved local council in Airbnb matters and I have waved the flag at every opportunity. I wish they could see the damage they have done....I just won't feel the same way about them again! I won't put that total trust in them any more. They have some serious repair work to do as far as I am concerned!

Cheers.....Rob

Kevin616
Level 9
Western Australia, Australia

@Robin4 wrote:

@Tony12

Yeah this has shaken me a bit, I have been such a strong advocate for Airbnb, I have even had 200 'Airbnb Welcome' shop window stickers printed which I have handed out to shops in our area. I have involved local council in Airbnb matters and I have waved the flag at every opportunity. I wish they could see the damage they have done....I just won't feel the same way about them again! I won't put that total trust in them any more. They have some serious repair work to do as far as I am concerned!

Cheers.....Rob

Absolutely devo'd as I have also been promoting Airbnb in the rural area, contacting the tousit information service and other local businesses to encourage awareness etc.

Such a shame.

I'm starting to believe it's some kind of ploy to force us to use another payment method , as yet unnamed...

I heard they can't keep up with technology and have purchased several hundred flocks of pigeons, we will hear something soon, it's a long way to Australia, or maybe the founding members have enough money and done a runner.

I had guests arrive on Sunday the 4th. They had booked for 25 days and it was a rather large sum total. They were required to pay half at the time of booking and the balance a week or so before checking in. They were horrified that I hadn’t received any payment from Airbnb and the payment issue came up with reversal notifications.

They were so concerned that I wasn’t going to be paid they canceled the remainder of their booking on the 6th. They were such a lovely caring couple and this was their first Airbnb stay. I am no longer interested in hosting and I wonder if they will ever use the Airbnb. Also a confusing way of the service fee being worded as a cleaning fee made them think that the host got this amount to help with the cleaning which of course isn’t the case. They lost the service fee for the entire booking even though I have a full refund on cancellation policy. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement.