Personal guests while having Airbnb guests

JeanPascal1
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Personal guests while having Airbnb guests

Hi everyone,

I am hosting someone from Airbnb in my second bedroom for a full month. I recently had a surprise from a family member who decided to visit me for about 15 days. Of course, we will share my room and shouldn't really affect the airbnb guest. 

Does my guest has the right to complain about that? My listing doesn't specify how many people are living in the apartment.

Thank you

8 Replies 8
Karen77
Level 10
Montrose, CO

I know when I book a stay with someone, I have a sense of what I can expect.  The guest who booked with you may or may not find this change bothersome.   I think it would be a generous thing on your part to acknowledge that this could be awkward or upsetting to your guest and, if you sense that it is, ask what might make this easier.   You might even offer a modest reimbursement, say $5 a night, for the change in plan.  

I can't see why, you say you don't state it will just be you and if it doesn't impinge on what was offered in the listing. You might mention it, out of courtesy, to the guest before they arrive.

Thank you for your answers,

The Airbnb guest is staying with me for 10 days already and I just learnt about my upcoming visit. I do not like to upset people in general and of course guest neither. However, soon after I mentioned it, he sent me an email asking for a 30% refund deposited to his bank account. If he doesn't receive it by tomorrow he will go through Airbnb.

To be honest, if I was very keen on trying to not make him unhappy, I did not like his intimidating tone and specific request (which I consider too high). At this point, I wanted to understand which are my obligation in this respect and if (in case of partial refund) I should do it through Airbnb or by direct deposit.

Thank you for sharing your experience

Jean

Your guest is quite unreasonable. Sorry this is turning out to be difficult.

I think you should not mention anything to no guests

This is your home they only rent a room in a home my kids turn up my best friend can show up
Airbnb is build on sharing and putting family and friends together this is a sharing community
Something could happen and I have a go and leave he or she in my home by them self

So because he or she alone there I should refund them hell no
You should not say nothing

@JeanPascal1   This is the number to contact Airbnb . I hear Twitter or FB is quickest. You need to tell him he has to request any refund via Airbnb. NEVER send any money to anyone's Bank account, let Airbnb refund him if the request is valid.  You can always ask Airbnb to find him somewhere else for five days - no reason he should be allowed to stay for free. If he is trying to intimidate that is an Airbnb No, No.  Having said that your safety is of the utmost importance. I would suggest speaking to Airbnb, maybe not a tweet.

JeanPascal1
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Thanks everyone for your suggestions,

I just called Airbnb and explained the situation. I am sharing their answer with the community in case you have to deal with such a situation.

Airbnb confirmed that I have the right to do "what I want" with my apartment and I can host friends, family, etc.

The Airbnb guest has no right to any refund if his service is not interrupted. This is exactly the case since he has his own bedroom and can still use the shared bathroom. We are free to use our houses as we like and as we need. 

I would still probably offer him a little discount through airbnb...but let's see.

Thank you

Jean