Personal items

Amanda134
Level 2
Bangkok, Thailand

Personal items

Hi All

I just had a new guest check in his morning. She has since complained about boxes of my personal items.

I have used the boxes as storage to allow her space in the closet with hangers to store her own items.

I am living in a small studio apartment and the box is visible in he photo. She would like me to remove it but it is my apartment I use and have no where to keep it.  I also have been asked about house keeping and who will clean it during her stay.

I feel that Air bnb can be used as a hotel but mine is not listed as this. How can I make sure this will not be a problem with my next guest?

Should I have to move my personal items?

Thanks

8 Replies 8
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Amanda134  Have you been a guest as well as a host on Air BNB?  I highly recommend that for all hosts as it gives us all a perspective that is useful as a host.  As to your complaining guest, do you think the complaints are not valid?  If so, then deal with the consequences of a negative review.  If you are able to learn from the complaints, then make changes for your next guest and thank this guest for their feedback.  We all learn from our guests.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Amanda134 I had a look at your listing and obviously you are not charging much and have very generous weekly and monthly discounts.

Cleaning, well that sort of depends if you are renting short term in which case you clean between guests or long term when she cleans herself. If you have a cleaning service available you can put her in touch, at her cost.

This is not a serviced apartment, the issue seems to be that she thinks it is.

How long is she staying for?

I would reduce the discounts and assuming you rent longer term that the cleaning fee reflects actual cost so if someone wants that you can arrange it, I assume $7 does not.

I assume you live there and rent it out when you are elsewhere, you could personalise the listing and make known that you are doing so and it is your normal abode not an investment property.

David
Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

@Amanda134 No you do not have to move your personal items. I have 2 rooms on ABNB. both have personal items in the closet. There is plenty of room for guests to hang their clothing. I tell them that whats there and point out that it won't interfere with there stay.

House keeping.. no... not during her stay unless she is long term. She is to clean up after herself. Your guest must be new to ABNB. If you are intimidated to tell her then send her a message through ABNB. Did it say anywhere on your lisitng that you provided daily cleaning? I think not.

Be firm... you are in charge. Its your place. Best wishes...

@David126  good points !

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Amanda134

Another example of a low-budget guest expecting champagne on a beer budget. Your price is extemely low and you clearly state that your things are in boxes. You don't mention cleaning in your listing.

She's getting what she paid for.

Keep your conversation on the booking page (reiterate anything she communicated ex-platform) because that is what Airbnb has insight into. Repy unemotionally and professionally. You can even say that your listing is clear on all points and the booking is as described for the price advertised. I don't know if IB brings more chance of such guests than non-IB, something you have to decide.

For your price I honestly think she is being completely ridiculous considering NYC rents or most places really!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Besides, unless you added it after her booking, she had to agree upon booking to your house rules which include that itj's not serviced/cleaned!

Nathan338
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Unfortunately, this guest is a red flag due to the complaints and naivete, which will likely result in the high probability of them leaving you a poor review.  Not unlike the other comments, respond very professionally and positive like you are giving 120%  service. Next, and I know this may seem manipulative, but say thank you for being an incredible guest after they leave and before they leave you a review. Lastly, give it a day, then leave a transparent and hard-hitting constructive review for the guest. This way, you mitigate the risk of a negative review, but provide the guest insight to work on for future AirBnBs. Bottom line: the guest is ALWAYS right. 

@Nathan338  That doesn't just seem manipulative, it is manipulative. Thank them for being an incredible guest so they leave you a good review, then turn around and leave them a hard-hitting review? 

I would be livid if a host behaved like this to me and I would never do such a thing to a guest.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Nathan338  This post is from November 2016, so your advice is a bit academic now! - Top tip: Check the date!