Poll - How do your guests 'check-in'?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Poll - How do your guests 'check-in'?

Poll

Hello Everyone,

It has been several weeks now since our last poll here in the CC, so I thought it was about time we had another one! 🙂

After the previous poll on whether you have stayed as a guest on Airbnb, I thought I would bring it back to more of a hosting theme with: How do your guests 'check-in' to your listing?

If you would like to keep track of the responses, take a look here.

I always think it is really interesting for us to hear each others comments on our selected option, so please do add your comments around this to this thread.

Thank you and enjoy!

Lizzie

Interested in the other polls:

Have you stayed as a guest on Airbnb before?

Do you provide breakfast?

Do you charge a clearning fee?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

26 Replies 26

how do you link to your guide book?  Does Airbnb automatically send it out or do you have to send a message with the link in it?

I include the link when I respond to their booking. 

@Lizzie:

We have two houses. One is beside our own house, the other across town. We strive to meet people at either location on arrival but the house across town is more difficult as many guests cannot figure out a "true" ETA so we also have a smart lock over there.

We have had many guests mention that meeting a host is not the "norm" anymore and have expressed appreciation for the greeting. We have noticed that when guests know that they are going to be met they tend to obey the house rules better (like not faking the number of guests) and also tend to leave the house in better shape than those we were unable to meet. We have not noticed a difference in our ratings from either type of guest.

I have expereinced a subtle shift during the 5 years that I have been hosting.  The majority of my guests are  now of the "independent traveller" mindset who simply want a nice, clean, comfortable place to stay  while they pursue their personal reason for visiting an area; they are less interested in spending time conversing with the Host in the traditional bed and breakfast manner. Even within this newer context,  guests who  I have an opportunity to meet in person tend to take better care of the property.

A brief face to face interaction helps each party get out of the "transaction mode" and make a  personal connection.  I think this is really valuable not just for people travelling, but as a reminder that for all of us - hosts and guests - neighbors and friends -   eye contact, body language, tone of voice are vital to good communication which cannot be conveyed as well in digital communication modes.

Jenny188
Level 2
Northampton, MA

I'm trying to keep my listing marked as "Business friendly" by having the check-in process meet the parameters, but the options listed seem restrictive and don't match our reality.  We live in a safe neighborhood, so the door is unlocked for guests with keys on the counter.  What option best fits this?  Can another option be added?  The current choices are Smart lock, Keypad, Lockbox, and Doorman. I don't want to create a misleading situation, but the check-in is clearly appropriate for biz friendly status as self check-in is clearly part of our operation.  It's frustrating.  Any suggestions would be welcome!

You can leave the key in a safe(not visible) and secret place outside (since your neighborhood is safe).  Tell them where it is/how to find it.  This would allow 24 hour check in.  At night is the place well lit?  Most use their cell phones for light anyway.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Although meeting our guests takes a looot of our time we have to meet them in person bc our apartments are in the apartment building and they need keys of the building, of the parking lot, main entrance and apartment entrance. We also have to see their photo ID and take their personal infos to be able to register them . 

Beside that we noticed that guests doesn't read instructions so we have to show them and explain them everything - from keys to how to use window blinds,  how to get hot water on european tap, where are light switches on the staircase and all sort of similar instructions.... otherwise they will call us for every such info or leave windows or doors open or give us low rating and say we don't have something etc... 

our check in process can last for 20-30 min and it would be great to have a robot to do that for us, especially if he would speak all languages  :)))) 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing your processes @Susan10@Branka-and-Silvia0@Deb27@Jenny188@Ryan63@Linda108@Kim238@Todd-and-Beth0@Kim-and-Jen0@Robin129@Allison2

I just wondered over the time you have been hosting, has your check-in process changed much? So if you meet your guests, do you now particularly highlight certain different things, or perhaps the way you send over the check-in information to your guests has evolved as well?

Thank you. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@LizzieHi Lizzie,

Been busy and am just now responding.  I don't think my check in process has changed much.  I am more comfortable leaving a key behind when I can't be there upon arrival than I used to be.  I still try to greet them as soon as I am back home to make sure they figured things out or if they still have questions.  When meeting them there are about 3 things I always try to cover:  my dogs get up early and we have wood floors, you will probably hear them.  The temperature in our basement is cold in the summer and cold in the winter as well, so I make sure they know how to make adjustments and where the blankets are.  For long term rentals, I make sure they understand that we have a septic tank, they must use only the brand of toilet paper provided - they are the lowest point in the house....(I try to use some humor)

I feel these things are key to them appreciating they are in a home and not a hotel.

If they are self reliant and can, or prefer to look up things using their phones/technology that's fine.  If they want recommendations from me, I am happy to talk to them.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lizzie

What would be an interesting thing to do, would be cross reference the respondents of the Poll to the "Community Centre commentaries " to see if the respondent had any issues with their guest based on the method they chose, having made the point the sample is very small 311 out of 650,000 Hosting’s (the average number of listing per Host is three, apparently).

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Cormac0,

Thanks for this, just to clarify do you mean cross reference the thread responses in this topic with the responses in the actual poll or something different? 🙂

--------------------

Hi Lizzie

Cross reference all respondents to the poll with any commentary they may have made in the Community Centre, firstly by reviewing the Tags they use to see if there is a correlation between their booking in method and any issue that may arise and secondly see if their a common issue like for example more people turning up then paid for.

Obviously, this won’t work if Airbnb did not record who responded to the poll.

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

ECK VIII