Problem Elderly Guest incl her Dog got into fight w my dog, Demands Refund

Jen150
Level 2
Washington, DC

Problem Elderly Guest incl her Dog got into fight w my dog, Demands Refund

I just hosted an elderly female guest who arrived a couple days ago with her very small dog (Yorkie?).  She just left 2 days before her reservation ended. She is demanding that *I* as the host must cancel her reservation, and left extremely rude hand-written notes to me in kitchen (a public area for all guests) accusing my dog of attacking her dog 4 times and that the door doesn't lock (it does. She would never shut it properly.)

She has been terrible guest, extremely disgruntled:

- Before she booked, she messaged me stressing that her small dog was a service dog and that I am required by law to accept her and her dog no matter what my policy on animals in the house is.  I responded kindly that I'm familiar with the law as one of my two dogs is an emotional support dog and is waiting to be certified as a service dog by a veterans organization. I should have noted the issues starting right there with her first message.

- I also explained to her that my other dog (the non-support dog, but still extremely gentle and sweet named Miya) - although she grew up with dogs, cats, and other animals on a farm, since she's moved to the city with me, she has become unpredictable in behavior w small dogs, and that I did NOT want her guest to allow her dog to interact with my dog just to prevent any possible issues.  The elderly guest stated that it wouldn't be a problem because she keeps her service dog in her carry-purse at all times, even when inside the private room.

- When she first arrived, she let her dog run loose in the house (which I specifically asked her not to do). Her dog ended up slipping through the crack of the iron gate on the back sliding door (the sliding door was partially open, and the iron bars of the gate are about 3 inches wide each), and ran through the neighborhood.  I was home in my slippers & home clothes; she was screaming (shrieking) in a panic that her dog ran away, so I ran out in my homewear into the neighborhood and caught her dog.

- She let both my dogs into her room, despite my telling her to avoid interaction with Miya. And although Miya was fine with her dog for a couple hours, something changed at some point, and Miya lunged at her dog as if it were a squirrel. The elderly guest was screaming bloody murder, alarming all the other guests in my house (3 Airbnb private rooms in my house).  Luckily, I was around to pull my dog away from her small dog, as the elderly, heavyset guest wouldn't move a muscle to do anything but shriek.

- The elderly lady left her feces on the toilet seat which I had cleaned up twice after her (she is very large and heavyset). Likely my other guests had to clean up after her too, but they tried to be patient with her.

- She broke my towel rack (slightly offset, not completely broken to pieces)

- She claimed that the door to the private bedroom does not lock, but it does. She would not shut it properly so that it would latch.

- Left front door ajar and then claimed that it was not her despite the fact she was the last individual to leave the house, and all my other AIRBnB guests in the house had been staying here for at least a week (long-term guests) and they've never left the door unlocked or ajar. 

- Left her dogs wet and dry food all over the floor of her private bedroom; left uneaten food in the bed; left opened food on the desk. (I noticed this when I passed by her room when she left the room & didn't shut it properly).  The problem here is two-fold --

a. she left the room reeking of rotten food and dog food, stained the sheets (which is par for the course with Airbnb, I get it)
b. I heard mice running around in her room (rodents are common in the city, but I'm really strict w my guests about cleaning up after themselves so it hadn't been a problem in 2 years)...which means I need to pay for an extermination and potential negative reviews from guests who stay there in the future if the mice decide to linger in the room searching for more dog food.

What do I do? 
- Ask Airbnb Customer Service to cancel her reservation? (But then my understanding is that she doesn't get refunded, which is what she is demanding. Plus she STILL gets the opportunity to leave an irrational and inaccurate negative review, right?)

- Submit a resolution claim to Airbnb for reimbursement for the mice extermination and odor cleaning?
- Cancelling on her will only screw me over as a host, when I was communicative in all aspects, provided to her every need, and she did not comply with house rules so I just don't see a justifiable reason to do so just for her benefit because she still has the opportunity to leave me a negative review.

- Or ___? 

This is what has been posted on my listing for at least a year:
"Pets Allowed:

Further notes:
Pets - I have accepted several guests with dogs in the past. Most of my experiences have been fine. To avoid any future negative experiences, if you will be traveling w your dog, please do NOT book until you have sent an inquiry explaining your situation & your dog's behavior.

I will not host any male dogs. If your dog is aggressive or constantly barking & disturbing other guests, you will either need to board your pet at your expense ($25-40/day locally) or leave my house. You can cancel your reservation through Airbnb if need be."

3 Replies 3
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Jen0..

phone air bnb asap, explain the situation and get advice on what to do.

Next thing tighten up your house rules seeing you have a dog then Tick the NO Pets box.

At the end of the day, it’s up to you to protect your property and to screen out your guests before you accept a booking.....if you don’t do it, no one else will....and look at the situation you find yourself in.

Finally write a short factual review for your guest.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Don't even try to avoid a negative review with this guest.  Just respond to her review, if she even leaves one, with a caring professional statement that "the guest, along with her service dog,  were unable to manage well in a shared living environment in spite of your efforts to accommodate."

As to current issue, advise the guest to seek the cancellation and refund directly with Air BNB as they are in charge of that.  Meanwhile, be sure to have memorialized your accommodation and support to this guest in the Air BNB messaging system.  Air BNB may give her a refund because of the attack on her dog even though it was her behavior that caused the issue.  

Make sure to give her a thumbs down review and 1 star rating.  DO NOT mention her being overweight or elderly.  That is against Air BNB content policy and she could get your review pulled.  She should use a hotel.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

As Victoria says, call Airbnb right away and have them cancel this guest for you. What a nightmare! So sorry this happened to you. Review her briefly, professionally, and badly.

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)