Reducing the pillow count to two..

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Reducing the pillow count to two..

I've recently experimented with reducing pillow count down to two (shows how much fun life is really when you have 20 guests in a row staying for one night).

Less laundry and quicker change over. 

Extra pillows in closet - saw it in a hotel we stayed at over summer, imagine that saving over 200 rooms in labor etc  etc. Oh to be in the hotel industry !

image.jpeg

11 Replies 11
Peter647
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

try making your minimum stays not one night.. you get a different type of traveller and not the most economy minded type 🙂

and of course, 2 pillows is good 🙂

As an AB test I watch my neighbour who has 2 night min and charges about the same or a little more for roughly the same one bed basement apt.

I'm ahead by about $20k. Market dynamic near UW and large hospital. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pete28

You are right Pete, you will always be ahead! By chopping off one nighters you considerably limit your market. At my age I do find it a bit of a struggle to keep up the standard and the pace.....look at my current calendar!.....

Overnighters!.png

There is a *bleep* load of one nighters in there which keeps me on the go....But think of all the cleaning fees I get Pete!

The interesting thing though is that silly blurb on the right of screen! Do I really want to drop my price to simply increase my workload? As you can see, I am really hanging out for that extra guest who wants something on the cheap!!

As far as pillow go, I still give them the four! After all, is washing two extra pillowcases going to break the bank....I don't think so!

IMG20180918183514 b.jpg

Cheers.....Rob

It's hard to turn away business 🙂 When you look at what $80 buys in groceries it makes you a little more positive about the constant churn that is Airbnb. 

My other delight (if I can call it that) is a slightly used gas dryer that I picked up and installed over the summer. It does all of the drying in about half the time and cost of an electric unit.

Rob where are your sheets from? They are perfect airbnb sheets!

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

I give two pillows each .. a softer and a firmer one .. so that I hope there is something comfortable for everyone 

@Mika8 wrote:

I give two pillows each .. a softer and a firmer one .. so that I hope there is something comfortable for everyone 

I do the same, and then I have a pillow bar in the closet so folks can select their perfect pillow. Most don't. The ones that do are incredibly happy. [I am just lucky that I have room for 4 additional pillows in the room, plus the two extra blankets.]

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

I have 2 feather pillows on the bed and another 2 non feather pillows in the wardrobe.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Pete28

1 pillow per person on the bed + 1 in the closet is just fine 🙂 We do it this way and very very rarely someone will use 2 pilows.    In 2 years of hosting nobody ever requested 3rd or extra pillows.

The same with the bedspreads and towels, we leave it in a closet so guest can use it or leave it clean and unused for the next guest.

Save-Money.-Save-The-Planet.jpg

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

The bed would look too empty without two each, but it is a great idea to save on laundry. The bedroom is the first room you seee when you come into my place so it is important that it shoots every arrow it has.

Used to do two feather+two man made fibres but now I only use feather, lasts so much longer. Two thick+two thin. Had a complaint once: Bed is too hard, pillows too soft. Porridge too hot! (Made up the last line).

Dale7
Level 3
Phoenix, AZ

I feel for you.  One nighters are difficult, especially if you want to keep high occupancy.

I suggest making it more worth your time.  Add $5 to the cleaning fee and I'll bet you won't feel any reduction in rentals.  I figure another $5 is a second cocktail that night!