Refunding a guest becuase they dont like the location

Ujala0
Level 1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Refunding a guest becuase they dont like the location

Experienced hosts, I need your help in this one: I have a guest who booked my place for the extremely busy and popular xmas/new year slot about 2 months ago. Since then, we were in comunication on and off. 

The guest arrived at the apartment yesterday and I checked them in. All good ... they had no problems with the apartment.

Half an hour after checking them in, they called me saying they want to cancel and leave.

After a bit of coaxing, they revelaed they were not happy with the location of the flat. They wanted something downtown and closer to the New Dubai, whereas my flat is ina more family area and about half an hour from New Dubai.

I am very confused now what do I do?

The cancellation policy I have set as per airbnb is 'strict', so technically I do not owe the guest a refund at all.

The guest is insisting I deduct three days rent max and refund the rest. 

I have told the guest that I will put the flat up on airbnb again and whatever days it stays empty due to their cancellation, I will not refund them those days, but if it gets rebooked for any of the days the guest had originally booked for, then I will refund them for those days. 

My question is: what would you guys do?

Isn't the point of a strict cancellation policy to protect ourselves? I am freling very stressed about having to refund money due to no fault of my own. The guest booked two months ago and that is enough time to realize if the area you booked is suitable for you or not! (Considering this guest has visited Dubai before, its not their first time and they were familiar aboutbthe area my flat is located in)

Please advise! 

2 Replies 2
Sabine42
Level 10
Tucson, AZ

Hi Ujala,

i wouldn't refund, you're right that's exactly what the cancelllation policy is for. Sounds like the lamest excuse on the books, it is their job to make sure the location is what they want/need. i honestly don't follow some guests line of thinking, like you having to pay for their mistake or laziness. no hotel would refund either, stick to your guns!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Do exactly as you are doing and tell them to cancel asap so that the property is back on the market and you at least have a chance perhaps of renting to someone else. It's their responsibility to decide if the flat is in the right location- and as long as your description is accurate then it is their issue to manage, not yours.