Remaining Competitive - Pricing vs Amenities

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

Remaining Competitive - Pricing vs Amenities

Hi everybody!

I’m a relatively new host and new to the community, and I’m looking for some advice.

So far hosting has been going well for me, however I have had two recent guests that have left some constructive private feedback around the amenities (both leaving less than my target 5* review). The feedback has got me a little down, and unsure about what the right course of action is.

For background, I rent three seperate rooms that share a family bathroom in my four-bedroom home, where I live with my husband. Our bedroom has an en-suite so we don’t need to share the bathroom with the guests. The listings are accurate regarding amenities provided, and some points are further clarified in a message prior to arrival. I have found the local market to respond very strongly to price changes of even a pound or two against other local hosts. Feel free to check out my listings on my profile for details / costs.

Comments have suggested that I instal locks on bedroom doors, rooms shouldn’t share a bathroom, and I should provide TVs and hot drink facilities in the rooms.

I want my home to have a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, and I’m worried installing locks would make it seem commercial or pre-empt problems. I cannot change the layout of my home to add bathrooms, and adding tv’s and hot drink facilities would cost extra money.

Do I keep my current position and favour price-competitiveness? Do I add the amenities and swallow the substantial cost? Do I add the amenities and increase my price (potentially losing bookings / revenue in favour of fewer but more satisfied guests)?

Any help would be appreciated!

Matt

4 Replies 4
Corliss2
Level 9
Calgary, Canada

@Matt682 ,

As a Superhost with many great reviews, you are doing something right! 

Sometimes guests just like to give feed back. Your listing clearly states "shared bath." As for the other suggestions, it is up to you. TV's and beverage dipensers in each the rooms seems a bit much. Locking doors is also your choice. Some guests  expect champagne on a beer budget.

Don't despair,  it seems like most guests are completely satisfied with their stay with you.

Jeanie12
Level 4
Connecticut, US

They knew about the shared bath before booking so that is not fair.  I would install locks.  It is an easy to do and from a safety/privacy/liability issue it would be money well spent.  I would encourage you to consider adding TVs and a kettle.  This would help distinguish you from your competition and bring in more rentals.  These are not large investments and I think will be well worth it.

Dawn162
Level 4
Eustis, FL

As a host and guest, I feel the tv should be a must in each room.  I have passed by listings that do not have a tv in the room.  JMO.  As for locks, I do not have them.  Nobody has yet to ask about it.  If it becomes an issue I would replace them to ensure the guest are comfortable and feel secure. 

As for private reviews, sometime you have to get some hard skin on.  I had one review with a private note that there was a dirty towel.  Well hello, there is a shared bathroom and I specifily tell them upon arrival.  That was a silly reason to give me a 4 instead of 5.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Matt682  Of course there are always going to be guests who want something different or more than what you offer- they should look for listings which offer those things, not fault you because they aren't included in your listing. 

Personally I hate TV and have never had one in my home and certainly wouldn't have them for guests. if they traveled all the way here to sit around and watch TV, they might as well have stayed home. Plus people can watch all kinds of things on their devices, which is what most people do these days.

Having private bathrooms for each unit is of course an absurd suggestion for a guest to make- like you should do thousands of $s of reno work to put in 2 more bathrooms, ridiculous. If they want a private bathroom, they should book places that offer that.

The one thing I would do is put locks on the bedroom doors. A lot of guests simply don't feel safe if they can't lock their door, especially if you rent to several unrelated parties of guests at the same time.