Rethinking large pump bottles

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Rethinking large pump bottles

Hello, everyone.  I’ve been pondering something...In light of all of the prudent advice given lately about disinfecting and sanitation, I’ve been pondering whether it is prudent to continue to provide large pump bottles of shampoo and conditioner which I refill between guests.  Maybe single-use tubes would be more sanitary and less likely to spread germs, although providing tubes is arguably not as cost-efficient and has high plastic waste.  But I’m thinking hands and fingers all over a pump coupled with viruses being active for hours or days, followed by someone else using the pump and putting lathered hands and fingers all over his/her face and scalp....well, you get the picture.  Thoughts?

3 Replies 3
Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

You realize soap collapses the lipid barrier on the virus,   effectively killing it?

I would pass this and other basic information to guests,   asking them to be aware -- but they normally use these items while soapy or will be very soon.

I've also implemented Level 2,3,4 hygienic cleaning procedures per WHO's guidelines:   so too,  should all hosts in affected areas:  this includes a regular spray-down with soap+water mixed 20:80 in a bottle. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pat271  I have always used Clorox or Lysol wipes on all bathroom items and amenities between guests. Continuing to use pump containers poses no danger as long a they are cleaned properly between guests.

Let me emphasize that soap dissolves nCoV's lipid shell.   Alcohol, bleach and other measures are far less effective.