Reviewing my Guests

Joy359
Level 2
Maryland, US

Reviewing my Guests

I have been with Airbnb less than a month, but my first guest helped themselves to a few Pool towels and bath towels, also the pool key.

I am requesting the cost but I have been told it is very difficult to get damages paid from Airbnb guests. Has anyone had any experience and or suggestions.  The Pool key alone cost me $45 to replace.

But here is my real question, I feel I should review this guest as I am sure other hosts would like to know before they offer their home, but it's a catch 22, if I give them a bad review I suspect I will most likely get a bad one from them. (not justified either)  What is the best way to handle this, not review or review?

Joy

13 Replies 13
Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

You have to weigh the $45 vs a bad review... especially a new listing. I've had new listings get tanked immediately by a bad review (where a guest brought extra people and I asked them to pay) . 1 good review is worth 10 bookings, a bad review will cost you 10 bookings.  Its a conundrum. I personally would eat the $45 and id praise the gust for being such an amazing guest!   Trust me ive been there... You don't want to start a new listing with a bad review.

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Joy359 Please don’t praise the guest when they have had bad behaviour. It puts other hosts in a position where they have to suffer the same thing.

As others have pointed out, they can’t see your review until they have written theirs or their time has expired. So even if you don’t request the money, you can still leave an honest review without fear of retaliation. That will help other hosts, and deters bad guests from continuing to use the platform.

Thank you Matt, 

I feel that I would be doing a disservice to other hosts if I don't put an honest review.  I agree with you. An appreciate your feedback

ONERüF0
Level 7
United States

When did this guest vacate? 

What I generally do in this situation is inquire with the guest about the missing items.  "Hi, noted after you vacated that we have a few items that are missing...hoping you can shed some light....blah blah blah."  Explain that the pool key is important...and was there upon arrival and not there following departure. 

The guest doesn't get to see your review until after they have written a review.

This is his 1st guest he has to be gentle... asking for money back will immediately get him a bad review. I have never asked for money back and I've gotten a good review, typically people will get very defensive and go into denial mode.

There was more than a missing key, the items I had to replace cost me approx. $89. I am not going to want to host with guest from Airbnb if this is any indication of how things are going to go. 

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

Remember the Guests cannot see your review until after they have posted theirs, so you can be honest in your review, but don't request $45 for the missing Key, they will most likely deny it and then Retaliate by giving you 1 star.

Joy359
Level 2
Maryland, US

Starting to regret posting on Airbnb, I can let the review go, it is posted that if items are missing the guest will be charged. I have a management company that documents everything very well so I have no doubt that the items are missing.

@Joy359 The first step to getting your money back is asking the guest directly to reimburse you through the Request money feature. Airbnb won't get involved unless you have already done that and the guest hasn't responded after 72 hours. See all the details on how to collect here:

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center 

@Joy359  It's unfortunate one of your first experiences is a bad one. Thankfully not ALL guests are like this and the majority are respectful and follow the rules. 

I'd leave an honest review of the guest and hopefully they will also leave an honest one (leaving out any hostility about the missing items). 

Hopefully you will have all positive experiences with your next guests! 

ABB definitely has its flaws but it is a great way to make some extra money with your property.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Joy359, PLEASE leave an honest review of this guest - it's critical for hosts to do this, otherwise the system doesn't work and you just end up putting other hosts at risk. They cannot see your review until they have posted or the review time has passed. I disagree with @Nina75 that you should 'praise this guest for being amazing'.

Regarding reimbursement, first, have you reached out to the guest? This can be the best way to start - something polite and non-accusatory e.g. 'we noticed some towels missing as well as the pool key and wondering if you might have accidentally packed them?' You never know, they might feel guilty and send the stuff back. However, if they fail to respond or deny, as long as you're 100% sure they did take them, you can send them a request for money. However, this doesn't guarantee they will pay you and there is no guarantee Airbnb will reimburse you either. So, you might risk a bad review AND not get any reimbursement. You need to weigh it up.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nina75  Praise the guest for being an amazing guest???? The guest was a thief- to the tune of $89 worth of stuff. Now you're suggesting that the host be a liar? And give other hosts the impression that this is someone they would want in their home- a thief?

What terrible advice to give new hosts. Or any host.

Faith-and-Amber0
Level 2
Puerto Peñasco, Mexico

Hi Joy!

While we would all agree that a bad review is not great for a listing, I would never leave an amazing review for them. HELL NOOOOOOOO!!!!! The whole system is worthless if that is the case. If you haven't reached out to them, I would do so and ask them if they know where the missing items are, or if they ended up with them by mistake. If they are jerks, you won't get an answer & people like that will usually avoid all correspondence with Airbnb, so probably won't take the time to write a review anyway.  I would wait until the last few hours that you have to review them, that way they don't have much time to do a retaliation review when they get the alert that you have posted a review for them. 

If you leave an amazing review for them & they leave you a bad one......who looks like the crazy person now?

We just had a guy kick in his bedroom door & broke a chair in their suite, drunk & mad at his girlfriend.....have requested payment with no response so waiting to see if Airbnb takes care of it. He had GLOWING reviews. Ha. 

For the most part, Airbnb is a great way to go & we have many new best friends because of it!

Wishing you luck & better guests!!!!