SHARING MY HELPFUL HOUSE RULE TEMPLATE

Cammy0
Level 9
Vancouver, Canada

SHARING MY HELPFUL HOUSE RULE TEMPLATE

Hi Airbnb Host Community,

I have been an avid Airbnb user as a guest since 2014, and in the Summer of 2016, became a host. The last 2 years has been an incredible learning curve and my listing(s) today have drastically improved because I picked up new information and ways to host over time. I would like to save new and existing Airbnb hosts some tears and torment from ill-informed guests by sharing with you my House Rules. Please keep in mind that by no means are my House Rules perfect. From time to time, you will still get an unpleasant host experience, but this is the top way to mitigate the chances. My House Rules is and will always be a work-in-progress (any new suggestions would be appreciated!), but since we are a community striving for the same goal of providing a great experience for our guests, I thought I would share it with you all. 

COZY HOME HOUSE RULES: 

As a Superhost, we aim to make your stay as comfortable as it can possibly be! Our mission is to help our guests create beautiful family memories in our cozy home. For us to do so, we would truly appreciate it if you can follow these house rules and confirm that is has been reviewed WITHIN 48 HOURS OF YOUR BOOKING. This is to ensure that if there is any reason the House Rules cannot be followed, you, our guest, will have the option of cancelling the booking penalty free as we have a Strict Cancellation policy. Thank you in advance and truly appreciate your cooperation!

- No shoes within the house.

- Keep noise to a minimum after 10pm.

- There shall not be smoking inside the home. Extra cleaning fees to remove odor and stains may be applied.

- PLEASE WASH YOUR DISHES after use. If dishes are not washed, extra cleaning fees may be applied.

- PARKING: parking is provided on the driveway side by side. Our driveway is suitable for sedans or smaller SUVs. If larger/longer cars or if more than one car, you can park parallel in front of the house where the bushes are.

- We have recently added a Foosball Table and Pool Table in the home for our guest's entertainment. Please return all accessories to their rightful places at the end of your stay.

- Feel free to use the barbecue outside that is set up for our super guests’ leisure use only. The BBQ is to be used by the guests who stay at the home and is not to invite others to the home as it will be considered as hosting a party. Please clean up after yourselves and keep the grill clean. If found left dirty and requires extra cleaning, an extra cleaning fee may be required. You will also need to add your own gas to the BBQ as it is not supplied.

- Please acknowledge that from occasionally, we may leave consumables such as condiments or snacks left behind by previous guests if they are not empty. We try our very best to ensure that it is not expired or stale. HOWEVER, ultimately, it is up to the guests' discretion and inspection to consume these items if they wish.  The host does not take any responsibility for the consumables.

- Please do not rearrange our furniture.

- If you would like to host an event (i.e. wedding, graduation, not party), please speak with us about it first.

- If guests are found to have had a party without host permission which results in extra cleaning, guests will be responsible for extra cleaning charges and in the unfortunate event of the disruptions alerting neighbors, GUESTS WILL BE ASKED TO VACATE THE PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY.

- If guests are suspected of carrying and/or using illegal drugs of any kind, the authorities will be engaged, and GUESTS WILL BE ASKED TO VACATE THE PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY.

- Lastly, because this is an Airbnb community not a hotel, and is also my home when I stay in Vancouver, please be respectful of the property and keep it clean before you leave. (Respect our property and our things)

If you have read it this far, THANK YOU for being a SUPER GUEST! Please reply back with my favourite quote: "EXPECT NOTHING, APPRECIATE EVERYTHING." so that I know that the house rules have been reviewed 🙂

66 Replies 66
Martha-and-Dennis0
Level 6
Scottsdale, AZ

Thanks for posting that!

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Cammy0

Very much appreciated, Cammy.  I will be using and modifying this for my own use;  it is firm but friendly and hard to argue with as it is very reasonable.

I tried to access your page but the listings came up a "WHOOPS!  IT malfunction."

I was wondering if you have this in your listing under House Rules?

Have you had instances where guests do not respond within 48 hours?

Have you canceled guests for these reasons?

Have you successfully charged guests any of the extra fees for cleaning?

Have you ever had to ask anyone to vacate?

Thanks so much for contributing.

- hmm, that's weird about the IT malfunction. Maybe try reloading the browser? Should work fine as I am still receiving bookings 🙂 

- Yes this is under House Rules

- Yes I do. You can't really do much at that point, but at least if they do cancel, you have grounds to remain firm on the Strict Cancellation. In the past, I would still give in to refunding the full amount despite my own cancellation policy, but I feel like by reiterating the house rules (re-sending them again through private messaging once booking is confirmed), I have done the most I can do as a host and the rest of the responsibility is on them. 

- So far no one has cancelled

- Yes I have. I send them photos and I express my disappointment. I haven't had to resort to mediation from Airbnb staff just yet.

- I have not asked anyone to vacate yet. We do have a security camera in the main entrance and are guests are made aware of it on the listing as well as through private messaging once booking is confirmed, so I feel like that really minimizes the "false bookings"

Hope that helps!

Angela864
Level 2
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Cammy0.  Thanks for sharing your house rules as it’s always great to see someone else’s way of thinking.

@Martha-and-Dennis0@John0 and @Angela0.

Depending on your homestay space, or geographical region, I offer a few extra ideas.

My rules may seem long winded for many, but coming from a work health and safety background (OHS), I try not to leave anything to chance.  People can claim ignorance or no knowledge, if it’s not in print. You can also remind them they are breaking rules if in print. 

People come from diverse cultural and lifestyle backgrounds, and as they may say in a court of law, “for WHS - common sense is a super power... which many do not have.”

Lol...

—————————-

“Not too many rules, just the usual for your safety and well being. 

You are however, expected to read the house rules for the listing, and abide by them, or you will render your booking under Airbnb terms, invalid.

Absolutely enjoy the space but please be respectful of the environment.  All noise levels must be considerate, especially at night; as this is a home in a leafy suburban setting, and we like to keep our neighbours as friends... 

General:  

The Homestay space you are booking is for four persons. It will be very clean on your arrival, and I ask that you leave it neat and free of rubbish on your departure; for if a greater cleaning service is required, then an extra fee will be charged.

This is a family oriented and child friendly home, however children and infants must be under active supervision by a parent or guardian, at all times.  All responsibility and duty of care for them must be provided by you, including their personal equipment and needs. 

No pets

No EXTRA ADULT or children, as overnight visitors. 

NO parties or events, no illegal activity or inappropriate anti-social behaviour.

- Authorities and Airbnb will be contacted for your removal. 

Please let us know immediately if something is malfunctioning so it can be rectified. However, all damages or missing items will need to be paid for by you before departure. 

To maintain a fresh and healthy environment, this is a strict non-smoking premise. The openness of elevated houses causes cigarette smoke to drift. If you feel a need to smoke, there is one spot in the far corner of the yard that has been made available for use.

For fire prevention and safety - please do not leave any electrical appliances switched on when they are not in use, or when you are leaving for the day. This includes air conditioners, fans, hair straighteners and portable device chargers.

Shared facilities with us.

Pool: 

Pool area closes at 10pm. To avoid injury, no bombing or running in the pool area. Children are not allowed in the gated swimming pool area without an adult actively supervising in the space for safety and as the lifeguard in an emergency.  No drinking glasses or bottles are to be taken in to the pool  area - only plastic items allowed.

Gardens:

This is a typical tropical garden which includes Carpentaria palm trees with caustic berries that are not edible. Please keep an eye on small children when in the shared garden spaces. Other species of flora may cause skin irritation if held.

BBQ: The BBQ is there for your use and recreational enjoyment, as with all appliances and amenities, you will find it clean on your arrival, with the understanding, it will be left clean after use.

Cyclone Management: 

Although “extremely rare”, if there was to be a weather event that was deemed dangerous during your stay, as your host I can assist you in decisions for evacuation or preparation. However, as the emergency controller of the property, the house rules would take on additional extraordinary emergency preparations.  The second room of the Airbnb Homestay, would be commandeered - as it is the designated evacuation shelter for all on the property to use. You would be required to follow all instructions and requests for safety. Once again this is not something that happens quickly. Authorities give notice and it is an event that is extremely rare.”

Thank you for sharing!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much @Cammy0 for sharing your House Rules template, I am sure this is going to be a useful resource for new and existing host.  🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thank you for all the helpful house rule. If you have an estate that  priced at $900 per night, what is the best price to ask for security deposit? And how do you check the guest’s govt ID? I went to profile on Airbnb but no verification list that I can click on. This is what google search was saying. 

-T

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thank you @Cammy 

I especially like the 48 hour period for confirming and think I am going to steal that idea!

My main problem is that guests usually do not confirm this even though it is one of the three questions in my booking message. I always then ask them again in my first message. Many still don't respond and I end up having to ask repeatedly.

I don't know what the problem is here as often these guests will respond to every question EXCEPT this one. My theory is because they have ticked a box confirming they'll abide by the rules, they don't feel the need to communicate this again to the host.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Or, they just can't be bothered to read them, but don't want to blatantly lie about it!

Donna3
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

I recently had a guest who is a Super Host ask me before arrival if I had a grill.  I am hoping she read the manual/rules booklet.   She may have at booking, but forgotten things as we are getting near their arrival.  I also have a booklet in the house, with a second booklet of things to do in and around our town.  

My worst guest was another local Airbnb super host.  He booked for 1 person, no pets.  I caught him with three people and 2 pets.  I contacted Airbnb, offered 100% refund after one night just to get them out, but they did not want to leave.  It did not turn out well for me.

Hi, Sorry to hear that but what happened at the end? 

Me too, I had 2 Airbnb host recently complete arseholes both of them