STRICT CANCELl policy: 50% refund even if re-book?

Dana273
Level 2
Folsom, CA

STRICT CANCELl policy: 50% refund even if re-book?

I have a question on the 50% payout I can get with a guest cancelation if I manage to rerent the same dates for cheap at a much lower rate. i.e. I try to minimize my loss.

Been renting my 2 vacation rentals for 20 years on various VR sites. Have rented one thru airbnb for 2 years and now adding the second property on Airbnb just now. The rents on this 2nd one are mid to high 3 figures $$$ per night and is in Hawaii (hard for guests to book flights last minute etc.) . So the stakes are high for me.

I have spent 2 hours reading threads  here with owners suffering in cancelation scenarios. I am uncomfortable with the Airbnb strict policy but the super strict 30 and 60 (like I have on vrbo) are unavailable to me.

So I am trying to mentally balance the risks of a late cancelation with 50% income loss (or 100% with extenuation circumstances) versus the great exposure and higher rates I can get thru Airbnb. Ultimately this risk evaluation will determine my Airbnb rates.

So here is my question:

Hypothetically, a guest cancels 2 weeks to arrival (and with my strict policy THEY get an immediate refund of 50%. Meanwile I am scheduled to get 50% at AD (arrival day) plus 1. NOW, IF I MANAGE TO REBOOK (LIKELY AT A HUGE "LAST MINUTE DISCOUNT") THEN WILL I STILL GET THE 50% AD+1 PAYOUT IN ADDITION TO THE NEW BOOKING RENT ON SOME/ALL OF SAME DATES?

i.e. If I got stiffed and then did get some rent for some of the dates, then will I get both incomes: 1/2 the original plus what ever I can salvage in rent?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

dk

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dana273

This is really simple....

If a guest cancels you receive a payment aligned to your cancellation policy. And you calendar is re-opened for those cancelled dates. You can price this however you wish. My view is that with such lovely properties they would be in high demand and even a few weeks out you would get bookings at your normal rate.

The only excpetion to the above is if there are extenuating circumstances and AirBnB decides the guest should receive a full refund. You will not be told what the extenuating circumstances are (it could be anything from a death, to serious illness to bad weather etc). In that case you would probably receive nothing but your calendar would be open for bookings.

People generally don't cancel holidays and risk losing 50% of what they have paid without a very valid reason.

Good luck

Thanks for your response.

Have you (or anyone) ever experienced this? 2 payouts on arrival date + 1: one for an old cancelled booking and one for the rebook?

dk

ps: So with Airbnb there is simply no reason for a traveler to buy travel insurance since Airbnb does it for them with little required documentation. Am I right?