Same listing, same day - 2 reviews

René137
Level 7
Montreal, Canada

Same listing, same day - 2 reviews

I had a guest (let's call him 'A') that cancelled the booking late in the day of the check in (6PM). It was 1 night stay and he never showed up and I'm not sure why he cancelled, so far he hasn't asked for refund as normally other guests would, despite my moderate policy (Full refund 5 days prior to arrival). Fine by me 🙂

Two hours and half later guest B booked for that same night also for 1 night stay, since the room was already prepared for a guest, we just needed to change the welcome board, so I accepted him.

As I suspected after following up this community center for a while, Airbnb would allow guest who had never checked in to review the host. So now, I ended up having to review and getting reviewed for guest A and B for the same listing and the same night. Guest B already reviewed. Hopefully guest A will never finish the review and won't ask for refund to CS.canceled review.PNG

9 Replies 9
Denis-Mark0
Level 10
Lahnstein, Germany

Hi @René137 

a host in geman CC mentioned the same issue. Guest left two reviews, host could have given even four!

Until now we don't know what happens to the review when the bug is fixed. Do they remain or canceled until one remains? But what if they are not identical?!

René137
Level 7
Montreal, Canada

In my case were two different person to review for the same day, one cancelled in the arrival day without checking in and the other came later and checked in and already reviewed.

So the first one, I'm asked to review and he's probably asked to review me. How many stars shd I give him to Cleanliness? 🙂

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@René137The system may ask you to review, but you can ignore it. That's what I do, because as you say, what are you reviewing based on? 

The only time I review people who cancel on their day of check in is if they review me first, and then I just say something like, "Unfortunately, X cancelled their stay the day of check in without arriving at our property, so we didn't have the opportunity to meet. We wish them safe travels!" That way, if the guest does say something malicious and you can't get it removed, potential guests can click through and see your side of the story. You can also repeat that in your response to their review. 

I'm hoping this time I don't get a review for the cancelled reservation.

@René137  I've not had any cancellations day of arrival, affording the no-show guest an opportunity to leave a review.

But if I did, assuming the guest hadn't been demanding of a refund contravening my cancellation policy, called Airbnb to say they arrived, but the place was filthy so they wanted a refund, or sent me nasty messages or anything, but simply cancelled with no explanation and no refund demand, I would do the following, rather than wait with bated breath to see if the guest left some bogus review on a place they never set foot in.

I'd message the guest:  "Hi XX, Sorry you had to cancel, hope you're okay. When a guest cancels day of check-in, both host and guest get the opportunity to review, as Airbnb has no way of knowing if the guest actually checked in and then cancelled, or never arrived. I'm inclined to not write any review for you, as I find it ridiculous to rate and review a guest who never stayed. So I'm planning to ignore those review reminders, and assume you will too. Hope you get a chance to come back our way in the future. Happy trails."

Of course, if you see that the guest has gone ahead and left a review anyway, then I'd just submit one saying the guest cancelled before arrival and never stayed.

@Sarah977 are there a lot of guests who cancel the day of and then make up some story to try to get a refund??  That's basically lying!  I would much rather them tell the truth and ask.

@Yiwei3  I have no idea if there are "a lot", but I've definitely read posts here recounting such scenarios.

@Sarah977 I did not know this happens.  That is terrible...  Does Airbnb actually refund them for these false accusations?

Kathy33
Level 8
Seattle, WA

We have had five stays that canceled same day and was able to rebook as night. As Sara said just leave a review saying guests canceled and hope to see them in the future. As for the pay out we call it the daily double.