Seriously! Read the listing!!!

Paige73
Level 6
Lansdowne, PA

Seriously! Read the listing!!!

My first potentially problematic guest has been here less than an hour and I can just tell. So far she's:

Showed up later than SHE said. 

Parked in the wrong place.

SHOCKED there were dogs.

Asked me to take her bags upstairs.

Upset bathroom was downstairs.

Surprised we live here!

Left the gate open.

Wondering if I should just ask her to leave now. 

23 Replies 23
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Paige73 this sounds like a bad review coming your way no matter what you do. I would just explain how Airbnb works and show her the house rules. From that moment on just see how she behaves and if she is disrespectful you can always call Airbnb and relocate her.

That's what I'm thinking! Bad review either way, but less stress for me if she leaves now.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Paige73, there is a dog in almost every picture. Almost! Listing is extremely clear, I really like how you present it, especially the final picture. Really lovely, I would be thrilled to stay at your place. Also very good value. Is this guest in for a long time?

@Sandra126

Thanks Sandra. She's only here two nights. This guest room listing is just for fun. I just like hearing the pitter patter of little feet around the place. Hence, the price! My guests are usually really happy to stay in a pretty cool house for so cheap and act accordingly. Now that she's settled I don't think I'll see much of her since TERRIFIED of my dogs. 

Ah, my rainbow! It might have been one of your posts that inspired it. I think you posted about tolerance vs welcoming? 

Thanks for your support, I'm just gonna hang out with my dogs for the next two days!

Victoria576
Level 3
Western Australia, Australia

I've had the same thing Paige, when even my listing clearly states there is a dog, albeit a very senior one that lives in the property next door.  Guests do need to come through my securely locked and gated permises to access the Guesthouse, which is also gated and can therefore they need no access to my faithful hound and vice versa. Frustrating. Most my guests have been amazing, even encouraging my 4 legged friend to come visit, but I've had one that was very problematic. I just wanted them to leave.

@Victoria576@I'm thinking of stream lining my listing. Maybe bullet points? One of my dogs is a drooling English mastiff. I get that's too much dog for some people. But most of my guest's adore her once they realize how sweet she is. This lady ate all her meals in her room even though there are plenty of dog free zones in the house. I feel like dogs can tell when they're not liked and I hate that they felt rejected in their own home. 

Victoria576
Level 3

@Paige73 it is not even the same place, except for having to walk across my deck to get to their gated property. I agree about the intuiton of dogs. Most of my repeat guests are far more excited to see him than me!!!!  I've only just come back on AirBnB and now I am going to do it far more smartly. PS, as I said before, I explicitly state there is a dog next door (plus I am pet friendly) and there is a picture of him in my photos.  Go and stay at the $300 per night place (which I did recently and you could barely walk around the bed, fridge didn't work etc)  if you expect perfection. I provide all the amenities, uilities etc and people seem to forget that.  All my others have been AMAZING though. I just have to think about whether the "one night stand" aka 1 night booking is worth the $. What are your thoughts?

@Victoria576 

I read through most of your reviews. When anyone mentions the dog, it's always positive. Is he barking at guests? You could try putting another picture of him in. I love the one you have! Omg! He's so cute! Some people are never going to be happy, and alot won't read the listing. I always reiterate during our booking conversation that there are dogs. If they leave a bad review because of the dog, at least future guests might realize there's a dog. 

I don't like one night bookings. You can make them profitable by raising your cleaning fee and not allowing them on the weekends.  But I like guests who embrace the airbnb philosophy.  One nighters are usually just looking for a cheap place to stay.

Victoria576
Level 3

Thanks @Paige73 . I agree with you one night stand opinon. I've changed my listing and added another picture of him at the dog beach and might add one more. The last guests that checked out insisted on keeping their gates to the Apartment open becuase they wanted Olly (the dog) to visit. But it is a good idea to re-iterate as you said that there is a dog on the premises. The guests before bought their two dogs up, left the gates open and all the doggies had a blast together. How is your Airbnb'ing going?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paige73

Now Paige, I would just bet she had a heap of questions prior to her arrival. I would also bet the message stream with this guest would be as long as your arm!

Paige....never get involved with 'Hagglers'........ those you want you to host on their terms, they do not want to be a guest on your terms. They ask lots of questions and keep on bombarding you with question and statements because with each comment on their part they strengthen their ground and weaken yours.....you just keep giving in to them.

When a booking enquiry or an initial IB message comes to you it will come one of two ways....

"We love the look of your property can't wait to stay"....simple as that.

Or it will be a series of 'feelers' they would no doubt have noticed if they had bothered to read the house rules.

This will not go well for you Paige, but I have to say, the warning signs were probably there.....all you can do is minimise the damage. Be pleasant but firm and stop giving into her. You will not get a good review, but don't lash out in the review system keep it short and professional and not too specific. The review will soon disappear into obscurity and we in the hosting community are not fools, we can spot a rotten egg!

Sorry you have struck one like this Paige, we all get them but you do after a while get to pick them.

Remember, a guest is going to fall into one of two categories....Passive, complimentary, or they are going to be Aggresive, demanding.....and you can tell by that initial contact which camp they are going to fall into.

Sorry I can't be more help than that Paige....all the best.

Cheers......Rob

Haha, thanks @Robin4

Oh I made her move the car and sure as heck didn't carry her bags up.  I charge just enough to make changing bedding worth while. Anyone asking for anything extra is just a jerk. When I first started I read all the terrible guest stories here on cc and really learned alot! 

It's just my listing is so clear! When i send the check in link there are pictures of where to park and more pics of the dogs! It just feels so disrespectful!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Paige73   You're never going to win with this one. I would sit her down, go over the house rules explain you are not a hotel and you do not offer maid or bellhop services. If she is going to require those it may be best if she wants to leave and go stay at the local hotel, you will refund her money. If she can live within the rules, she's more than welcome to stay. 

Last night I told her I'd help her find another place if she wasn't happy here. Seems to have changed her attitude. But she's still going thru the dog run instead of the front door. It's weird. My husband thinks it's a language barrier. I really appreciate being able to come here to vent. I'm just gonna have keep the dogs locked up so she doesn't end up letting them out.

Doesn't sound like this guest has done anything that would require asking them to leave. I would just send then a friendly reminder to make sure they read over the rules. I would still leave them a bad review though. 

Unfortunately people DO NOT read all of the listing. I have that we are a private room in at least 3 areas and send them a message reminding them of such before they arrive, and they still get here surprised.