Service Fee?

Michael171
Level 1
New York, NY

Service Fee?

Anyone familiar with "Service Fee"? I just spotted a "Service Fee ...(of)...$50..." deducted from our payment.Service Fee?

7 Replies 7
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Michael171, I think most everyone who has hosted is familiar with the service fee. AirBnB deducts a flat 3% fee from every host payout. (They also charge guests a fee ranging from 6-12%, but I assume you're asking about the host fee.) To read all the details, go to AirBnB's help system and search for "service fee".

Michael215
Level 1
Raleigh, NC

Hi all, new to the hosting side.  Question re the guest service fee.  I understand the host fee and understand how Airbnb explains the guest service fees but it didn't make sense when I got my first guest request.  Example, guest requested 2 nights at 175/night so total came to $425 ($350 for 2 nights plus cleaning fee of $75).  I saw the 'service fee' was actually a negative number so the total I earned was $425 minus the negative service fee.  

I thought the guest service fee was what Airbnb charges the guest above what your nightly rate and cleaning fee is.

I have the same problem with negative service fees. have no idea what that is and as it is applied to the total due by guest it lowers it!  Does any one know what this is?

@Marina292 

Do you mean you're being charged the Airbnb Host fee twice?  Mine appears as "service fee" but it is just the standard 3% host fee we've always been charged. 

I'm new to Airbnb and I just had this negative service fee on my first reservation. Was this ever resolved for you?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Amy1076 what do you mean by negative service fee? Airbnb deducts 3%+tax service fee from every booking you get. 

Michael4736
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Same here. I just approved a reservation request, and the payout details show a negative service fee. Specifically, my guests' payout was REDUCED by $18. Am I going to be hit with that down the road?