Sparkling Clean

Jillie1
Level 10
Harrogate, United Kingdom

Sparkling Clean

Is 19 the maximum number of "sparkling cleans" you can get?  I have 100% 5 stars for cleanliness but I notice that the counter seems to be stuck at 19 and I haven't seen any other hosts go above the 19 mark for the "sparkling clean" element?  Has anyone else noticed?!

15 Replies 15
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Jillie1  Sparkling clean is an option when a guest writes a review. If a guest does not click it, you will not get it. It has nothing to do with 5 stars. A guest can skip the options for giving sparkling clean, amazing Amenities, great hospitality etc.

You can find if a guest leaves you a sparkling clean when you read the review. It is shown above the guest review.

Jillie1
Level 10

Thanks Alice - I will see if I can find it.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jillie1  

@Alice595is correct but what she has mentioned is only available on certain devices. So you may have never seen how many guests actually indicated your place as sparkling cleans since it is separate then the 5 stars for cleanliness.  For instance, I cannot see if guests have "ticked" the sparkling clean amenities box on my laptop but I can see this 'data' if I log in using an ipad. 

But like you, I have noticed that the number doesn't get very high. It may be because it is looking at responses within the last month or weeks. Unless you had 30 separate guests stay within a month and they all indicted sparkling clean would the number raise past 30. Maybe?

Jillie1
Level 10

I haven't found it on my iMac and it maybe we can't see it in the UK?  Thanks for your replies both.

Patty168
Level 4
New York, NY

I don't think it has a maximum! I depends how many bookings you had and if your guest clicks on sparkling clean or any other of those options even you get 5 stars on each item. For example, I've gotten 50  sparkling clean of the 70 reviews during my last year. Where are the other 20?? 😉

Jillie1
Level 10

Hi Patty - well done re. getting 50 sparkling cleans!  However, when I look at your listing, this is what I see below and only 16 are recorded.  As I say,  I think the counter's got stuck!

GaiaBlu Guesthouse (Cais de Gaia - Porto)
Vila Nova de Gaia

Patty

󱀁
Entire house
4 guests
2 bedrooms
3 beds
1 bathroom
󰀢
Sparkling clean
16 recent guests said this place was sparkling clean.
󰀃
Patty is a Superhost
Superhosts are experienced, highly rated hosts who are committed to providing great stays for guests.
󰄄
Self check-in
Check yourself in with the smartlock.

Uhmm... interesting Jillie! I hadn't noticed that because when I check the progress it shows the 50. So it means that my guests don't have access to that important info. 😞

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Jillie1 

"Sparkling Clean" is a "compliment" guests can choose. It only shows up on the mobile app, I think.

I've often wondered what the deal is with the counter, as I have received this compliment 75 times of 90 stays, yet the counter on the listing has been stuck at 18 ever since the first 18 stays were completed. It has never moved up or down since hitting that 18.

I have gathered that the number of individual category stars stop at 50, while the "overall" stars does not stop counting. I'm sure one has nothing to do with the other, but while we're on the mystery of how things are counted...

Jillie1
Level 10

Hi Jennifer - yes, it's definitely stuck I think?  Please have a look at my reply to Patty above.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Patty168 

I cringe when Airbnb advertises my listing as "sparkling clean"

Talk about a hurdle that I can only fail.

Yes, I do shine up the chrome in the bathroom daily, but my home is my home.

I don't like to have my home sparkling clean everywhere, all the time. 

I also don't like to disappoint my guests by promising "sparkling clean"

I'm with @Paul154 on this. I clean the treehouse to the best of my ability, lugging mop, bucket, water, soap, vinegar down the trail, but no one would ever say it sparkles. Except that they do say it sparkles when clicking compliments, nice folks that they are, and it just feels like a trap waiting to spring, a promise made by others that I cannot keep. 

And sure, quick responses, outstanding hospitality (one tries <blush>), local tips. And okay, thoughtful touches, as the hammock straps are already in place for them...

But amazing amenities? Stylish space? Really? Stylish? Good grief. 

It's okay. I will make myself a cup of tea and calm down. 

Bryan442
Level 2
Woodbridge, VA

I have spoken with reps about this data point, and have reached a dead end. It is not organic data, like your star review metrics that go up or down. 

From what I finally gathered speaking to the right rep, after a ton of calls, and closed tickets I found the following. I know it doesn't make a bit of sense, in brief, consider it dead data.

It is a data point that is based annually, and capped at 20 when ever the window is open. I have no idea when it actually renews- maybe your yearly anniversary host start date. I noticed mine right off the bat as I was striving to reach the esteemed super-host, and it stopped after 18 reviews. Since two guests didn't leave a review, mines frozen at 18. I'd be interested in hearing from others, who would say otherwise, but I think this is it. 

One of these days I'll get around to making a suggestion/feedback telling the team just how pointless and misleading this data point is. How misconstrued could it be looking at someone who has 100+ reviews and only had 19 recent sparkling clean? Yeah, go figure.  

Hi @Bryan442 🙂

I have always thought that it was the last 3 month or a period like that. On my listing it says that 15 RECENT guests gave me the sparkling clean mark. I think it could be the last 3 month of guests? 

The reps told me its' annual. If it were three months, I'd see mine change after 6 months. That's not been the case.  Search  hosts with one year, or more, you'll spot the trend in no significant difference in their "sparkling clean" count. 

Why is displayed in that first tier in the listing but is locked/frozen/dead data?