Super Host - Unfair aspects to the system

Lauren18
Level 5
Tucson, AZ

Super Host - Unfair aspects to the system

I've been with AIRBNB for 8 years, and have been a "superhost" on and off over the years.  I have literally hundreds of great reviews (about 300 actually), and people who have come through AIRBNB to live at my "enclave" and stayed for years because of the sense of community I try to create, gardens, and inexpensive prices.  I was a traveller myself, and keep my prices low because I was a traveller myself.  But I can't seem to get my "super host" status back, and I'm not sure the system is very fair, because if you're not a "super host" you don't come up very much on the listings.   One unreasonable or mean-spirited review, along with that "point rating system", can ruin your chance of being seen.   I also might add that I have had guests tell me about some very unpleasant places they stayed in that were listed as "super hosts", which makes me wonder about how they achieve that status.  I heard of an AIRBNB in Las Vegas where the property owner has a number of houses, and he regularly has his business associates stay in his houses for free  in exchange for "five star reviews". 

I would like to add that I feel I've seen the expectations of people change over the years.  Because  so many corporate entities now use AIRBNB, I see more and more people come who basically expect this to be a motel.  They do not seem to realize it is a private residence, they expect the impersonality of a motel,  and much of the amenities of a Doubletree or a Motel Six, all for a bargain price.  

6 Replies 6
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I'm afraid the old days are gone, Lauren. Welcome to the New and Improved Airbnb.

This is no longer the "homestay" site it was when you and I started.

They found they could expand by convincing hotel guests to try Airbnb. But rather than teach guests how to be home share guests, they're teaching hosts how to be hotels.

Host pictures used to appear next to our listings. (Hotel guest says I don't care about the person. Show me the room)

Hotel guests want to book and be done = Massive push for Instant Book (indeed, the only way you can require Govt ID)

Hotel guests don't want to meet a host, that's silly. You'd better have self check-in.

Airbnb would do well to make a niche for their "old skool homeshare hosts" before a competitor does. There are a LOT of us who miss the old days and would jump at the chance to recreate that "intrepid traveler" community.

Thank you so much!  I grew up on communities and little B & B's in England and Europe, places where I met people, enjoyed conversations, shared resources.  In the course of creating my "enclave" I've made many friends, and always am delighted when I see guests connecting with each other, making friends, helping each other out, sharing dinners or trips, etc.  And while I have encountered many people like that still, it is often now the opposite of that as well - people live for a week, even a month in my home and never say a word to me, treating me like the invisible cleaning lady.  And more than in the past, the reviews often are meaner, more critical than they were in previous years now, even though I have a great deal more to offer as I've invested in my property.  I am thinking I would like to find another way if this goes on, "super host" or not.........maybe just get long term tenants.

@Lauren18    seems to me that more and more guests choose somewhere cheap expecting to get more and more for their money (blame Airbnb marketing for that), they don't, so they down rate it. I have had guests come because of the price, they have read the description and purposefully ignored it (they told me as much) and then complained and marked me down because the amenities I do not offer were not offered!  

I looked at your listings and they are great offerings and super cheap. You have fantastic ratings for one of them well over Super Host and just a smidgen below on the other.

Maybe change up your description to deter those you do not want and appeal to those you do want.  There are also numerous posts on here on how to use social media and other outlets to attract guests.  If I were you, this may sound counter intuitive,  I would put your prices up,  and also address the lower ratings (of course there may be little to address except 'perception' and unrealistic expectation). Some hosts write: do not expect a 5-star hotel. Others have a read out explaining the stars (although that one is a bit tricky, I tried it and got 2-stars overall from a guest/host who interpreted it as "talking him up" for 5-stars).  Here is a link to the post , https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Define-quot-5-stars-quot/td-p/1153175/page/2

And here is the image

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 5.15.57 PM.png

@Allison2    I agree "Airbnb would do well to make a niche for their "old skool homeshare hosts"  

If they did it right it could be hugely rewarding for guests and hosts. I had a few guests recently, long time airbnber's who are really put off by what Airbnb is doing. They told me that they book for the "old skool homeshare hosts"   but increasingly the host is nowhere to be seen—doesn't actually live there!

Good luck @Lauren18 !

Wow, thanks!  That is really great advice!  I am very interested in creating community.......often I get guests together for a dinner, or offer them produce from the organic garden, etc.  I have many guests who love it and make friends with others in my "enclave".  I need to attract them, and not the "Motel 6" crowd.  And I agree with you........the kinds of expectations have changed as AIRBNB gets so corporate.  This past winter I did not raise my rates at all during the Tucson Gem Show because I wanted to help people coming to town for it, artists like myself who were on a tight budget.  What I got were 2 people who gave me horrible reviews and complained  because the internet speed wasn't fast enough and they didn't have a private shower!  Each of them paid 33.00 a night, when you can't get a hotel in all of Tucson for under 100.00 a  night!  So what the heck, maybe I'll raise my rates and see if I get nicer people! 

@Lauren18     You might even consider adding an experience, 'how-to organic gardening',  (or whatever is in line with your interests),  it is very popular with many people these days and aside from adding value it may attract guests who are better suited to your offering.

What a good idea with the Superhost explanation. I will do a similar thing, especially sending it to new airbnb guests, who so often do not understand the rating system. Thank you.