Superhost Status

Becky215
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Superhost Status

I could not be more disappointed with Airbnb as my Superhost status has been removed through no fault of my own, at a time when everyone is struggling to survive. It tells me I have not received enough bookings even though the UK is not allowed to have people mix and while my review rate is 4.9 on my page the Superhost page tells me its 4.5. I have refunded all of my cancelled bookings in full due to Covid as requested and done everything to be the best host. I'm seriously considering leaving the platform as all my hard work means nothing.

12 Replies 12
Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Becky215   I'm very sorry this has happened to you, Becky. I hope you will get back to Superhost status very soon.

Best wishes from Anthony in Portugal

Thank you

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

The number of bookings or nights booked per year wasn't counted in this assessment period- it was waived just as it has been since the pandemic started precisely because Airbnb knows that many hosts can't safely host now or that there are legal restrictions against it.

So there has to be some other criteria you didn't meet this quarter.

@Becky215

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Becky215 

4.9 overall rating on your listing page & home page means you've averaged that from Day 1 of your hosting, which may reflect an average over several years.

4.5 on your Superhost tab reflects an average score of 4.5 in the last year. - Which would happen if half your guests gave you 5* & the other half gave you 4* (for the overall mark.) 

- I see you only hosted TWO bookings with Airbnb in 2020. So if one gave you 5* and the other 4*, that would have done the damage. 

P.S. I've just clicked on your AMAZING listing! - Guys, she has a CASTLE! - A medieval manor house! 

Becky, your castle makes my gaff look a right dive in comparison! But I'm still a Superhost & have been for ages. Probably because I'm so cheap. And have a lot of disclaimers in my listing description... - Which all goes to show how MEANINGLESS THE SUPERHOST THING IS!

@Sarah977 

- I really wouldn't worry about loss of the silly little brownie badge. You have a medieval castle! You really don't need the gold stars, I'm sure the photos of your beautiful amazing place on the Wales/England border will attract plenty of customers without the Superhost virtual medal. Many hosts who've lost it  report it's made no difference.

Hi Helen,

Thank you, your message cheered me up. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Your place is truly amazing, Becky. Don't concern yourself with the Superhost status- it's just a behavior modification tool Airbnb uses to keep hosts stressed out (and see, it worked- you're upset about losing it).

The fact that one of the Superhost criteria is a 4.8 star rating, when one guest can tank that just because they don't understand the rating system, never give 5*s on principal (yes, there are guests with that attitude), or simply feel they have to complain about something, means Superhost doesn't necessarily reflect your hosting prowess or the awesomeness of your listing.

You place is one-of-a-kind. I can't imagine that not having the Superhost badge pasted on your listing is going to make a bit of difference to your bookings.

@Becky215

Thank you Sarah, I really appreciate your reply.  I'm sure if will be fine in the end but its pretty rotten of Airbnb not to just freeze peoples status until Covid is over.

Sharon18
Level 3
York, United Kingdom

I too am really disappointed...been with them for 7 years and lost superhost because of their policies....I have a rating of 4.9 over couple of hunfred stays...very frustrating and upsetting. I appreciate it seems like a small thing but you'd think they'd have a heart!

Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

Same thing has happened to me. I’ve had 16 guests this year, 15 of who left a review. Five were four star which brings my average for the year down to 4.7. 

Four star reviews happen to us all - I normally get one or two a year. I don’t think my recent guests were bad people, just on edge because of the pandemic.  The kitchen was the main source of complaint - I have not let the cleanliness slide.  When I stopped them using it, my ratings went back up.

Brighton is a busy place and normally I could get enough bookings to bring my average back up, however now there is no chance of anyone staying until May.

I will also lose my Superhost status in April, and it does bug me but there’s nothing I can do.

Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Catherine-Powell 

Some hosts in my area are getting their Superhost status taken away because they can’t legally host at the moment. Would you read the comments made by some of posters in this thread?

Perhaps removing the requirement for a grade of 4.8+ over the last year would be a fairer way of assessing existing Superhosts with a high overall average? Maybe just for a period of three months to allow us to get some bookings to bring our recent average ratings back up? If I could host I would cut my prices to attract guests, and this problem would be sorted. But I can’t though no fault of my own.

I’m not interested in the eighty pounds travel bonus, by the way.  That’s a minor problem compared to the losses experienced by a lot of people in the UK. I am lucky enough to qualify for the self employed allowance offered by the UK government so have survived. Many other hosts have been much harder hit, and need all the help they can get to recover.

Hi @Jane563,

Thank you for tagging me here.

I recently shared some news related to the Superhost assessment here. While we can waive certain criteria to mitigate the effect of the pandemic, we do need to maintain some benchmarks in order to uphold the Superhost standard. I hope the new criteria guidelines, which we are extending through the end of the year, will help some of the Hosts in your community.

I'm also sorry to hear about the recent drop in ratings, but hopefully it won't be long before you and your fellow Hosts are able to rebuild with an influx of new bookings.

Best,
Catherine

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

Haha, I will be losing my my 8yr super host status because I won’t sign up to the inappropriate and coercive COVID protocol (I’m in Australia). Airbnb have blocked my calendar. I can tell you Airbnb DON’T CARE.