Supporting new hosts

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Supporting new hosts

Hosting.jpg

Hello everyone,

Since I've been sharing a lot of your feedback with the Airbnb team, some of them reached out and asked if I'd get your input on how they can support new hosts, in particular. Many of you have been hosting successfully for a while now, and they want to find out how they can help others do the same.

Do you know people—a friend or neighbor, maybe—who's considered hosting on Airbnb but never gotten started? What do you think their main hesitations are? What are one or two things that Airbnb could offer to better support them as they get ready to become hosts? Would resources like free storage, a discounted cell-phone plan, or a coupon to claim a smart-lock device help?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. Thanks so much!

Lizzie

Legal disclaimer: By selecting "Post", you agree to share your ideas publicly and without any expectation of confidentiality or compensation of any kind. While Airbnb welcomes your contributions, Airbnb may be working independently on similar policies, products, or features, and may choose to review and/or implement your ideas in its sole discretion. You also agree that the https://www.airbnb.com/terms and https://www.airbnb.com/terms/privacy_policy apply to your use of this and all Community Center page

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

86 Replies 86
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Lizzie

One of the key ways they can support new hosts, is by ensuring all new hosts go through a tutorial on how key Airbnb works, before new hosts are allowed to have a listing go live.

The number of new hosts, who don't realise they have IB turned on and are shocked to get a confirmed booking, the number of new hosts, who cancel, not realising they will be penalised, the number of new hosts, who don't understand that third party bookings aren't allowed etc.

The list is endless and leads to new hosts being unhappy with how Airbnb works.

A key beef for new and existing hosts is that the so called host 'guarantee', is in reality not a guarantee. Airbnb makes it difficult for hosts to put in a claim. When a host does succeed in putting in a claim, they are often turned down or a small arbitary amount offered. With no explanation and no opportunity to challenge Airbnb's decision.  Case closed.

I think concerns about the guarantee is one of the key areas that puts people off becoming a host, as hosts feel Airbnb won't honour its 'guarantee' and they will be left out of pocket if there is guest damage.

Providing incentives won't make people want to host. Providing support to help new hosts understand how listing with Airbnb works and a meaningful host guarantee would.

I didn't know third-party booking wasn't allowed I've had a couple of them as a new host. Can someone explain?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Sivi0

I think now you are a superhost you can no longer consider yourself as new 🙂

Airbnb states on it's website and its Help Centre that third party bookings are against it's T&Cs and if there is a problem with guest damage etc you won't be covered.

Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi Sivi,

This can be anyone from an agent booking for a client, to a parent booking for children.  Airbnb stipulates that the person who makes the booking must occupy the space.  The reasoning being that the person making the booking is then held responsible for the behaviour of the guests and the condition of the listing.

It should be noted that AirBnB started a program called AirBnB for Work. It allows booking by a business for their employees. This is actually a legitimate third party booking allowed by AirBnB now. It does give the traveler access to all messages unlike the third party bookings that are against AirBnB's rules. 

Now it’s easier than ever to book and manage business travel—your company’s bookers can search, book, and pay for trips on behalf of others.

https://www.airbnb.ca/third-party-booking

Brief version of what I hear here:  ABB needs to implement significant,  structured (and planned) user education-- I think that's needed on the guest side,  too,  FWIW!

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Lizzie, I'm going to agree with @Helen3--completely.

The AirBnB 'website' is tough to negotiate (for hosts AND guests), and the path for anyone to follow to get to where they want to go can be rough.  

Lack of Support issues are HUGE--and they don't just come from 'clueless' hosts, but clueless/overwhelmed staff.  I've seen enough of this on the CC forum, and recently got a taste of it myself.   

The message on the TED TALK is clear, and we all believe in it.  But growing too big, too fast, is hurting. (And the AirBnB hotel-thing in Nashville?  Whassup?)

I am of course kidding when I say this, but SHUT THE THING DOWN, let us hosts reconfigure it, and start over.  

The system is broken in so many ways, and many of the staff I spoke to on my last booking apologetically agreed with me and thanked me for being so understanding.

Kim

Brief version:  ABB website needs comprehensive UIX (user experience) and information architecture review and reworking / revitalization.

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

Hi @Lizzie I think @Helen3 is spot on regarding the tutorial, I started hosting multiple listings in May and if I had been forced to do an interactive tutorial before i started i would not have made so many mistakes. The one other subject I would teach new hosts is the AIRBNB review system, it is very confusing and needs to be explained. Just look at the number of times new host post about being worried about leaving bad reviews of problem guests, all of this worry could be avoided with just a little tuition.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi Shaun

I'd like to ask you for your pointers about problem guest reviews .... you have a strategy to recommend? I'm just about to put up a multiple listing too. Ha!

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Mary996 I promise I will put something together for you next week when this crazy weekend is over and I have time to breath again!

Regards Shaun

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thank you so much Shaun. I received your suggestions with much appreciation

Brief version of the concern I hear above:  reviews no longer work all that well;  the system needs some revision,  as well as to be considered in user education.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen3@Kimberly54 and @Shaun69,

Thanks for your replies here.

I really like your idea Helen about having a tutorial, I often think reading some of the information here in the CC, this would be super helpful for new hosts.

I can imagine when you decide to host you are eager to get going and set up you listing. Do you have any ideas on the format it could be in and more key things (on top of what you have already mentioned) you think should go in it? Keeping in mind it needs to be in managable pieces to prevent overload of information 🙂 

Also, taking a step back even further before you even start getting into the real details of setting up you listing/policies etc.,  what were your main questions about starting? Did you look much at the site before considering to be a host?

Thanks again.

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.