Text messaging problem

Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

Text messaging problem

I receive all text messages that AirBnB sends me, but when I try to reply to one by text, I always get the message, "To reply, please visit airbnb.com or use the Airbnb app." So it only works one way. Why would that be?

My phone carrier is Choice Wireless. Does AirBnB not have a contract with Choice Wireless?

It's pretty inconvenient to not be able to reply by text. If I am away from Internet service, such as on the road, for example, it may be a while until I can get to reliable Internet service to reply. During that time the potential guest might give up and seek another place.

Is there any way to resolve this, other than switching to another phone carrier?

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bob39  It has nothing to do with your phone carrier. What you are receiving are text alerts- they're just messages alerting you that you have a new message, Inquiry or Booking Request. You do have to go to your Airbnb inbox to reply to the original message. If you are going to be unavailable to answer messages, snooze your listing for that time you'll be unable to reply.

Katica0
Level 2
Zagreb, HR

Hi @Bob39!

I think that you have several solutions...here are some.

1. the easiest one...have instant reservation for your listings - that way you would not have trouble with thoughts that someone will book with someone else...it will be booked instantly.

2. buy a smartphone and install airbnb app - control everything on Airbnb app (with 5-15 minutes delay in comparison with notifiers on SMS or e-mail).

3. the hardest and most complicated one...get a co-host.

As I understood, you would like to get an answer by SMS...it is not possible...yet...but it looks like a good idea for airbnb...they know our mobile phone numbers...all they need is to write hosts some SMS ID which you copy in your reply SMS and there goes your answer through AirBNB to potential guest.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Bob39@Katica0,

I think it used to be possible in the past to reply by SMS (I’ve seen a post here once with a picture, stating a reply, which was send by SMS).

In the past, Airbnb used various mobile numbers to send SMS alerts from. Nowadays it is always the same mobile number. Maybe this discarded the possibility to reply by SMS.

When you’re an Airbnb host, Internet access is basically essential, wherever you go. And depending on how quick you like to reply to new requests/inquiries. When you have guests staying: You need to be able to reply almost instantaneously.

For me, this is an unwritten rule, when it comes down to Airbnb hosting.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Cor3  It must be different in different countries. My text alerts here in Mexico end up showing various numbers they were sent from, and none of them are actual phone numbers- they're 5 digit numbers. 

When I called my friend in Canada last week from my Mexican phone, she said it showed up on her end as coming from Belgium 🙂

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Yes @Sarah977, That’s why it is becoming more and more difficult to comment on situations (so many regional exceptions these days)

Anyway, I looked up the number, which is used in my SMS correspondence. And it has always been the same single number, since February 2018.

And it seems to be a landline in Illinois?

Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

OK, thank you to all of you for your replies.