The "new" host review form for guests to rate hosts

Answered!
Timothy19
Level 8
Bryn Mawr, PA

The "new" host review form for guests to rate hosts

I just saw this on a FB hosting group and was shocked at how tedious this process has gotten for guests. I have several comments and questions.

1. Is this standard for ALL guests of ALL properties, or is this just aimed at select guests of select listings in order to verify the listing amenities, etc? This is literally 10 pages of questions (on mobile at least). 10 pages!

2. If this is standard practice now, well, wow. Does ABB expect guests to go through this whole thing every stay? ABB is pushing owners to get reviews get reviews get reviews....and then makes the get review process this cumbersome? I wouldn't be surprised if guests stop leaving reviews.

3. The entire "compares to your expectations" part seems like it will actually make the rating system WORSE than it was before. Guests already had trouble with ABB's interpretation of what 5 stars meant. We had owners pushing for 5* because ABB treated 4* like a bad rating. Now this new system looks even MORE geared to getting low ratings. Imagine you have a listing that just looks stunning....all the amenities in the world....picture perfect. The guest stays there with HIGH expectations and the owner delivers. "About the same as expected". That looks like a 3* rating equivalent. Even "better than expected" would only get this incredible listing a 4* equivalent rating.

----------- I think AirBnB just made their rating system WORSE!

rev1.gif

rev2.gif

rev3.gif

1 Best Answer
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Emily352,

You are entirely right. Having said that though, there is a mathematical law, called: “Wisdom of the crowd”. So, when Airbnb can acquire enough answers from “semi”-experts (guests), the truth will slowly, but definitely bubble to the surface. Even better than what is actually listed by the owner (the expert). And still even better, when the individual answers may be of a somewhat poor quality.

Small example: In order to enter a property, one may have to enter 2 small doorsteps. An owner may consider this to be a flat entry. Whereas some guests may consider these as stairs. Maybe at best as a non-flat entry.

At Airbnb it is all about numbers. And they are aware of probability rates, influence of larger numbers, etc. They know, when to say: It is too close to call.

So don’t be surprised, when certain amenities will automatically be added or removed from a listing in due time.

A lot of hosts hate the location rating (hosts can’t move their property. Usually the location is also clearly listed or mentioned too). But for guests (so also pricewise), this is invaluable information! Even a distance of about 50 meters can make a huge difference! The view from one apartment may be marvelous, whereas the view from the adjacent apartment may be a bit cluttered. Another apartment may be at main street, whereas the adjacent apartment, is just around the corner.

All they are trying to achieve, is to capture basic human emotions in a mathematical model.

Don’t worry: All this data is not just meant to look at the hosts, they will also use this data to look at guests as well!

I.e.: When Airbnb notices that a particular area/accommodation in ‘general’ is rewarded lower by middle-aged guests from France. But being rewarded higher by younger guests from the UK. They can and will use this information in the provision of search results to potential guests.

End goal: As many bums on beds as possible, at a sustainable price. I would love to see that 1-page KPI report, which BC finds on his desk, every morning!

View Best Answer in original post

163 Replies 163

@Letti0, Do you happen to have a screenshot of these last two pages, please? Or know where I can see them? Sorry, I know this thread is over a month old.

My last guest gave an overall 5*, but in the detailed review I got a 4*. She has obviously followed a drop down menu, and ticked that my address was incorrect. I also find it most odd, since they found me with no reported problems. 

Obviously, I plan to ask her more detail about what she feels is incorrect, but it would help if I had the context of the pages where this was an option.

Many thanks

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I recently stayed as a guest at an airbnb and filled all this out.  Really it only took maybe 2 min but its more work than it was before.  Doesn't seem like any of that shows up in our review other than the regular 1-5 star questons we have always had....location, value, etc.  But  agree, it will result in less frequent completition of reviews.

@Ned-And-Laura0, as it is only just beginning it will be a while for some info to build up, when critical mass is met it will flip to the new look I imagine. Usually this is how changes happen, wait for build-up, flip to new.

[@ mention updated]

@@@Ned

I have a question - can you mark more than one item as extra special - amenities, sparkling clean ect. ??

Yes you can!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Surprisingly, almost 95% of my guests this summer season have left reviews (about 45 individuals.) Why isn't Airbnb sending hosts any of these responses?! I would like to know what guests thought was the most extra special thing. What “amenities” are important to them? No one leaves me private feedback anymore; maybe because they are too exhausted after all these questions.

Jan384
Level 3
Dübendorf, Switzerland

Some of the things you can find but it's very hidden somehow and only in the app. We recently saw that some of our guests have given us of these extra goodies like outstanding hospitality and were pleasantly surprised.

Jennifer976
Level 8
Calgary, Canada

This makes sense now.  I've always had 100% reviews and the last couple of guests didn't leave a review.  Great.....

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Timothy19hmm, I've stayed in a few places on airbnb this summer and not all of the above in your pics has been in the review process.

I had-

The options for 'sparkling clean' ect at the beining for the 'wow' factor (its super quick no hassel), 

plus the normal 5 star options,

plus the writen public/private feedback.

plus the 'Help --- prepare for furture guests' which is the basic ammenaties that hosts were 'supposed' to start suplying from august, except now we don't have to. (but this was only 1 page and only included the 'basics' as airbnb defines -toilet paper/linen ect.)

I didn't have any of the 2nd and 3rd row of the  your pictures above in any of the places i reviewed.

Maybe its like when you google a business and the business hasn't supplied all the info, google starts asking question to see if you can fill in the gaps. Maybe some hosts havn't updated the list of ammenities they offer after the options were expanded in spring? So airbnb starts asking the guests?

Personally i just assumed the ' anything special?' was for the top of your listing were airbnb tells guests 3 random 'facts' about your listing. And it was being sneaky trying to see if hosts were saying they provided the 'basics' but they weren't there when you got there, i persume so they could message hosts to tell them to start stocking them, or cut the listings, (back when it was goinh to mandetory)

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

with a new trend of shorter hollidays and stays of just 1-2 days on multiple locations / cities / states I don't expect guests will bother to fill 10 pages of reviews for every ABB they used for a night or two. As we all know they book and pay without even reading a full description and house rules or even our welcome note or messages . This new review system is really stupid idea

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

For a nano-second yesterday, I could see these icons, by guest on the iPhone app, as part of their review. They were labeled: compliments. They disappeared almost immediately, but it was interesting to see which guests selected which icons.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Yes, I have had all those screens the last few times, and it made me see why my own guests have not reviewed as faithfully as before. Gave up halfway through, I imagine. My own journey through those screens took forever, because I was trying to give my (excellent) hosts the best possible review. I didn't know whether they would be chided for "better than expected" and told to be more accurate, but I chose that one anyway. I didn't remember whether an oven was available, for instance, so I had to look up their listing and keep it on another monitor in order to match my review to their listed amenities. I realize I made it more tedious for myself, but if hosts cannot be nice to each other... 

I really, really hate that guests are inspector/spies. Really hate it. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lawrene0  That "better than expected" translates to a 4* Overall for hosts. 

Oh no!!!  I think I may have unintentionally given my last two hosts 4 stars when I would have meant to give them a 5. If that is the question that determines it??

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

So, the guest doesn't even know how many stars they are giving you for overall experience?  Unbelievable.  I give up, there is no point in even trying to maintain superhost status at this point.