Thoughtful details guests love

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thoughtful details guests love

Thoughtful details.jpg

Hello everyone,

One of the fun and unique aspects of Airbnb is that guests and hosts have a chance to meet each other while sharing their home. To make this stay even more memorable, some hosts like to prepare small, yet thoughtful extras.

There are some very inspiring conversations here in the Community Center, where many of you have shared the multitude of creative things you do to go above and beyond for your guests. Here are a few handy highlights:

It’s easy to think that extra touches have to be expensive, but it can be something simple which you can reuse time and again, such as a chalkboard with your guest’s name on it or even just thinking about those things your guest wouldn’t necessary pack, like here in the UK a handy umbrella can help to save the day! These little touches can really make your guest feel at home.

Does this sound familiar to you? Have you added anything to your home which you thought would make your guests feel more at home?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

30 Replies 30
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Iron the part of the sheet that folds over the bed, as well as the pillowcases. It just creates a perception of added cleanliness.

Make sure there are no cellar spiders in the corners of the ceiling, etc.

Extra lights and lamps.

Box of Kleenex in the bathroom. They're expensive, but, after they check out I just keep the box for myself, then stick a new box in for the next guest. I do the same with a new unwrapped bar of Ivory soap (really cheap when you buy a pack of 12). Some guests are creeped out by used bars of soap, so that's why I put a new one in there.  Only about one out of 4 guests actually use the soap because I also provide Softsoap body wash and Softsoap for handwashing.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh @Pete69 

If you are going to iron the sheets the cheat way is to fold them prior to ironing them as soon as the are taken off the line, they look much better that way, or as some in here have previously mentioned, they iron them on the bed itself.

Personally I love nice fresh ironed sheets and pillow cases.

Do you catch the wee Spiders with your hands and place them out in the Garden?

Insects are here with us for a very good reason, including to catch Flies..

I really like the idea of ironing the fold over end! Wow… just need to make that time. I do think it would add value to eye appeal. Thanks for the tip! 
Jeri

Diane1182
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Hi Everyone,

What kind of toiletries do owners  provide? Do you use refillable bottles or small travel size containers? 

Thank You!

@Diane1182  We use extra large sizes to discourage guests from taking them.  We use Trader Joe's shampoo/conditioner and have had good luck in the past finding Crabtree & Evelyn and The Body Shop lotion and body wash at Marshalls, although since the pandemic finding these brand there has become more difficult.  I would never use the small travel size just because its too much plastic waste to deal with.  When the shampoo/conditioner get about 2/3 to 1/2 full we top them off & wipe down so they are full or almost full for every set of guests. 

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0448.jpeg

We use the shower wall units for shampoo, conditioner and body wash. 
And buy the refill in gallon size jugs, topping them off after each stay. We also buy the gallon size hand wash for refilling the kitchen and bath hand soap containers. 
Super easy!

I have only just listed our place and we have our first guests arriving in a few days.

I bought and installed the same wall dispensers that you have pictured above but they have all fallen off the wall.

Can you please advise: Did you screw these in or did you find adhesive that has worked?

Elle

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie 

The extra touch that guests seem to appreciate the most (even though it costs next to nothing) is the welcome blackboard with their name on it. Almost everyone loves that.

I also put these in the rooms as standard:

- Carafe of fresh water + glass in the room

- Useful toiletry minis, including things like sewing kit, nail files, shower caps, shoe shine etc. (as well as the full sized body wash/shampoo/conditioner/hand soap in the bathrooms)

- A selection of magazines. When I still travelled (pre-Covid), I would pick up magazines in different languages, so I try to include magazine's in the guest's language if I have them

- Travel adaptors

- Plug in air fresheners, which they can use or not, whatever suits

- Some sort of little dish or tray for keys, small items of jewellery, loose change etc.

- A letter rack with guidebooks, maps, timetables, tourist brochures, discount vouchers and local takeaway menus

- Extra duvets and pillows should they be needed

Some rooms also have:

- Selection of books (travel and English classics are popular)

- Hot water bottle 

- Eye mask & ear plugs

- Laundry basket

I love the ideas I got from reading your post about what you leave for your guests and i started to do some of those things myself, however Ii feel a bit jaded after my last experience with a family that stayed for 4 nights. I left 2 guest baskets filled to the brim with travel sized toiletries such as pack of 3 loofas, body soap, lotion, toothpaste, razors, shaving creaam, etc 

and 2nd basket had few popcorn bags, chips, pringles, candies, 2 small travel wine bottles, etc and not only did they clear everything out of the baskets but they took one of the baskets as well leaving only one empty basket after check out. I was so upset and now wondering if I should bother to replenish or not 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lisa6841 

Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, some guests will help themselves to anything they see as 'free' and there is also the tendency not to see those things as 'extras', but rather something that is included in the price they paid and therefore is theirs to take. Not sure if you ever saw that episode of Friends where Ross is obsessed with taking everything he possibly can from the hotel suite?

My theory is that you should not offer up disposable/take away items that you are not happy for guests to take and it should be affordable for you within the rates you charge. Sure, it is annoying when guests help themselves to EVERYTHING, but most guests in my experience do not do this, so it balances out.

Annoying though that your guests took one of the baskets too. You would think they would know not to do that but, then again, I had a guest who thew out all the maps/tourist and take away leaflets before she checked out. I guess it never occurred to her that I would have to trawl all over London for some time to collect all of those again and that I didn't do that for every individual booking. She thought they were just put there for her...

You have to decide how much to offer based on what you charge and your market/clientele. The more upmarket, the more you need to offer. If you offer too many freebies to budget travellers, they are likely to take as much as they can!

Also, I find that more is more because only a small minority actually take stuff, but the majority appreciate that it is on offer and there are those guests who are delighted by it. However, don't offer what is not appreciated. I tried one Christmas with cards, little gifts and treats for all my guests. Most did not appreciate it at all and many didn't even bother to open the cards or whatever, let alone say thanks. Another example is the fruit bowls I used to leave. Nine times out of ten, the fruit ended up in the bin, so I don't bother with that anymore.

I have gone though the same feeling when guest just help themselves to extras not for use when they stay. Having the shower supplies completely emptied on a two night stay, missing mattress protectors, k-cups  gone, maple syrup taken but obviously not used… I came to terms that it does balance out. At times, I have had many cash tips including an $80 tip on a two night stay. And the excellent feedback keeps us at the top. I buy bulk supplies wholesale and no longer the higher end stuff just to cut expenses to save.

These extra comforts are not expected so pick and choose wisely.  😉

Yes, I also have a small "Welcome" blackboard in my guest room, which I personalize with every guest's name.  They love it!  Such a simple, inexpensive way to make folks feel welcome.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sharon104 

It's such a basic thing, but I honestly can't think of any little touch that guests appreciate more. 

It's pretty simple really. They are arriving in a strange place, possibly staying with a stranger/strangers, and may assume that to you, they are just another body passing through. Seeing their name on that board makes them instantly feel welcomed, at home, like you see them as an individual, special and that you care about them, have thought about them before they arrived and gone out of your way to welcome them and make them feel at home and comfortable.

From my perspective, being someone who is really bad at remembering names, writing them on a blackboard helps me not forget the name of the guest who is arriving!

Love the black board idea!!

Really love the blackboard idea!