Tips on getting damage reimbursement?

Micah14
Level 1
Dayton, OH

Tips on getting damage reimbursement?

Situation: Water damage from the ceiling due to 2 guests using jacuzzi jet button feature in bathtub together, which was previously unknown. Water started leaking from the ceiling on the first floor due to jaccuzzi tub leaking from jet stream and tub being on second floor. 

When: Last year around Sept to Oct time frame if I remember correctly (2017)

Cost: $3500-$4000 to replace bath tub and reconstruct tiles and walls around the tub. Around $500 to paint to ceiling and re-do part of the dry wall.

Rationale: I understand not all the costs can be attributed to the guests and AirBnB, since I did not know previously that the tub was a jaccuzzi tub and the jet button causes leaks from the first floor ceiling. But is there a way to get partial reimbursement like $100-1000 from guests or AirBnB? Just wondering. I have only been a host for AirBnB for less than a year and recently acheived Superhost status. But with this remodeling cost it will set me back a bit in savings and what I made from AirBnB. Granted it was nice meeting all the guests and I have left appropriate and reasonable reviews for every one of them accordingly. Especially for the guests who discovered the feature and caused the water damage, I left a decently detailed and fairly reasonable review too. 

Thanks in advance for your replies and helpful advice. -Sincerely, Micah Sun

11 Replies 11
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Read about the timing for filing such claims - before the next guest checks in or within 14 days, @Micah14. So it might be too late.

Apart from that, also read in the forum how Airbnb handles such cases... Generally, the best is to prevent problems rather than seeking Airbnb's help. Also, many hosts will suggest calculating all the expenses beforehand and set your prices accordingly.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Micah14 If I read your post correctly the issue would have occurred regardless of who had activated the feature. In which case I don't see how you can claim anything from these guests. I think there is just a lesson learned to test out any items that guests may be using and ensure they are working properly. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Micah14

I believe such incident must be claimed to your insurance.

yes I agree before you have an airbnb rental properity ,do  your home work and ask your insurance company

what all applys. It is a business. At the beginning of a new year make sure your ready for anything! And let your insurance company know you have an airbnb home and they will be glad to help you just for a few bucks! Its worth it !

Micah14
Level 1
Dayton, OH

Great discussing this topic with all of you. Thank you for your input as this is my first post in the community! I hear all of you and of course will not blame the guests or AirBnB, I simply wanted to express myself and maybe part of the frustration with this "accident." I guess I should be glad this problem was discovered and that the leak was found and deemed fixable. I will definitely test out possible features in the future in all areas. I will see about the claiming it on my homeowner's insurance too, but I do not want to risk my insurance dropping me if I can afford it out of pocket. I have since then added a house rule to not use the jaccuzzi jet button in that bathtub and bathroom obviously. Appreciate all of your input again! Have a wonderful day!

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

Hi...when something was lost by the guest I put in a claim just to give you an idea. I know water damage is a different story but, Here are some of the requirements I had to use: (had to file the claim within 30 days of it being lost)

For any stolen items it is essential that we obtain the following:
- Proof of ownership in the form of original purchase receipts, bank statements, product registration, or photos of you with the item(s)
- Website links to comparable replacements
- A full copy of the police report related to this incident or a video of the guest stealing the items which are being claimed.
- An itemized list of missing items, including their original purchase receipt (if possible) and a replacement link. If you don't have the receipts, indicate the age of the items (in years), and the make and model where relevant.

Please note that we cannot guarantee full reimbursement if both photos and accompanying receipts are unavailable. All invoices, receipts, or estimates must be on official company letterhead, and we cannot accept homemade documents. If you are unable to provide receipts, let us know and we will work toward a fair resolution.

For all property damaged or destroyed due to a criminal act, a police report is required.

Within 7 days of this email, please submit all requested documentation. If you need more time to gather it, please communicate how much time you think you might need.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Micah14Yes, best to test all features before hand, but also re-thinking any amenity that may present unnecessary hassles or risk is also a good move. Nothing has to be.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If you have a feature you do not want used disable it.

David
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with @David126@Micah14.  Don't count on guests following your rule either because they don't remember the rule or they think they can get away with using this feature.

Art19
Level 2
Angeles, Philippines

I think this is clearly on the host here. The guest used a item within the unit that was in the unit for their use. The damage was not caused by the guest it is not like the tub was full and they hit it so it broke, just normal use of the jet feature.  I place all my tubs and jacuzzi inside hidden damage holders (Same with water tanks) If something breaks or fails the drains located under the tub should get most of the water. 

It does cost a little more when building out units but in the long run saves money.  I would just take your loss and move on.  Sorry not the answer you want I think.

Lona182
Level 2
United States

If items are simply lost by guests or blow away in high winds at the beach, how are claims handled?

I'm talking about items such as beach towels to grill to chair cushions, extra phone chargers, speaker, bikes and expensive Yet I insulated drinking vessels.

How do you handle bike loans?  Do you require bike locks be used at all times....like golf cart rentals require us to use?

Thanks