Trash Disposal

Diane514
Level 2
Menands, NY

Trash Disposal

Our home is in a community with a large dumpster where residents and their guest dump trash.  Our property is in Florida so daily garbage management is a smart practice.   However, we have had guests leave bags on the driveway (this is disallowed by our HOA), and or left us negative reviews about the "onerous" garbage detail.  We simply throw it in the back of our car and dump in out on our way out eachh day.  We do understand the guests who are Ubering or using taxiis do not have the ability.  Therefore we purchased a cart that can be used to roll trash out to the dumpster.  The dumpster is about 1000 feet from the house.    Guests still refuse to do this.  My cleaning lady is buying each of her AIRBNB clients with garbage cans and will offer guests the option to take care of their garbage for them for $10.   I think this is fair.  Everyone in our community has the same issue with their AirBNB guests.   What do you think of this solution?  And where should we mention this service and fee?  I would like it up front and center. 

Diane

7 Replies 7
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Diane514  What is your current cleaning fee? The easiest solution I think would be to just add $10 to everyone's cleaning fee, let the cleaning lady do it, and remove the instructions for the trash.

Hi Suzanne - The current cleaning fee is $50.   We would need to raise it to $60, however not all guests desire this service.  I suppose it would be best to just change the fee as you suggest.   

Suzanne - I did raise my fee by $10 and placed a large garbage can by my property.  My cleaning lady now provides the service of disposing of garbage.  It has helped tremendously.  She said that everyone in the community was having the same probem.   She offers the service for all Airbnb owners and it is working wonderfully for all of us.  Whoda thunk that throwing garbage in a dumpster would be such a hassle for guests.  I always viewed it as a great convenience to dump trash on a daily basis instead of letting it collect.

@Diane514  I guess it depends on the type of guests who are booking and for how long. I certainly would be amenable to taking my garbage to the dumpster if I were a guest, but my son-in-law, who books a lot for business trips and wouldn't ever leave a mess behind him, said he resents being required to take the trash out to a dumpster when he's only stayed the night, has meetings to attend and planes to catch and has paid a substantial cleaning fee. I can see his point of view.

We allow only 7+ nights bookings.  Most guests do not object, but those with families seem to. Also, garbage handling is an issue for Uber users who cannot put garbage in their cars and ask them to swing by a dumpster.  The number of people using Uber instead of renting a car was surprising.

@Diane514  How interesting. The families, who would invariably produce the most garbage, as opposed to just a couple, are the ones who aren't willing. No figuring people out.

Rich-Resort0
Level 2
New York, NY

I have a similar concern. We have a house in Upstate NY and there is no dumpster on site. Guests would need to take out the trash to the local transfer station (I believe 3-4 miles from the house.) Some guests haven't, although it was stated in our welcome book to do so. 

I also do believe we can't expect guests to take out the trash off-site when we are collecting a cleaning fee already.

Wondering what the best solution is since the house is far from our actual home (3-4 hours away) and we can't go and do it ourselves. Also the only one neighbor there isn't budging to help.